Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Difflocks,

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
me again ..

i realise I'm supposed to be moving when using the diff-locks ... but thought I'd see if they actually worked.

i had the engine running and selected N on the gear selector ..... then shifted the little stick into lo box and that lit up the orange center diff-lock light on the dash.
then pushed in and turned the diff-lock switch to the first position and got a red flashing light ..... same with the rear diff-lock ...

little vid to explain ..
[youtube:2slxwals]TSS7iEQe_gM[/youtube:2slxwals]

I also assume the ABS is meant to be dissengaged when in lo box

Hi carl Try shunting forward and back whilst turning the steering to get them to engage.

Sometimes take a while and sometimes dont work. When they are locked in you get solid red lights ;)

If you ever get stuck with anything and need a quick answer dont hesitate to ring. If i can help,i will. 07968389167

That doesnt mean every 10 min through the day tho :lol:

Karl

If you're going to try the shunting back and forward method just make sure you're on a loose or slippery surface 'cos if you lock them on tarmac they can be a BITCH to unlock. If you can't get them to lock with all 4 wheels on the ground just jack up both wheels on one side and with the ign on but engine not running just turn each wheel in turn and listen for the click, at which point the wheeel will lock solid. If they don't lock using this method (no load) then there's summat up we em.

Did everyone catch that :o - Karl Webster said 'dont hesitate to ring' if you are ever stuck :thumbup: . I'll be ringing in the morning to find out why my lawnmower won't start and then 10 mins later with another question. Very decent chap our Karl.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IRLGW said:
Did everyone catch that :o - Karl Webster said 'dont hesitate to ring' if you are ever stuck :thumbup: . I'll be ringing in the morning to find out why my lawnmower won't start and then 10 mins later with another question. Very decent chap our Karl.

Lol Glen

Im supprised my phone hasnt been going anyway from you :D

Stuffs ready and waiting ;)

Sorry to go off topic lads

Problem is Karl that the breakage list is going up! If all is bandaged then I'll arrange for a collection and transfer the rest of the funny money. Do you have a drive flange thingy that I need?

When checking diff locks, always best to check that motors are working before going further.

1. Turn ignition on and engage centre diff by pressing switch or putting transfer case in to Low. You should hear the actuator wirring and get a solid light on the dash - of you don't get the light on the dash it may be worth putting the car into neutral and rocking a bit. Once the centre diff light is on move on.

2. Try engaging the rear diff lock - you should again hear the motor wirring - if you don't but you notice a slight dimming of the dash lights you will need to get the actuator off and get it fixed. If you hear the actuator and you get a flashing light on the dash you need to jack up the rear axle and try rotating the rear wheels - they should quickly lock and the light will go solid - if you don't get the light the sensor may be up the swanney, if it doesn't lock there will be a physical problem and the actuator will need to come off.

3. Once you have worked through the issues with the rear actuator do the same with the front one.

The most common issues are magnets coming loose in the motors so they don't run or corrosion causing issues with the motors or the main actuators.

I have got to the point that I can salvage most, but if the casing is too badly corroded then there isn't much that can be done other than replace them.

Back