Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diffs and lockers... just checking

SteveJB

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
If you are quoted silly money for second hand unit might be worth a look at an ARB type locker or if a very knowledgeable member knows if it's possible to bastardise an 80 series to a 100 ie motors springs bodies to a working unit

knicko

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Change of plan... driving the truck tonight, I was so nervous about the RDL sliding into a position where it breaks something in the diff.
I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered a new RDL unit from Roughtrax (£606 with VAT ), so I can get it put back how it should be with minimum of delay.
Expensive, but worth it for the peace of mind.
I’ve read lots of posts on this and note the difficulties with ‘timing’ the position of the actuator when fitting it, but I assume this is just when you have rebuilt it?
For my sanity, can I check my planned fitment of a new unit would be:
1. Plug in new unit but leave it dangling
2. Dash switch RDL to ‘on’ which should wind the actuator bar fully out
3. Slide the actuator into diff with the selector fork in the ‘off’ position so the special screw can be fitted. The body of the unit will obviously not push fully into place yet.
4. Jack a back wheel and turn to allow the actuator bar and attached selector fork to engage into the locked position. This should allow the body of the unit to be pushed into its proper position on the diff. Screw the body of the RDL unit to the diff with the four bolts.
5. Turn the RDL dash switch off, which should retract the actuator bar and disengage the diff lock.
6. Fit the detent switch cover to the diff case.

Thanks

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
Your plan looks good to me. You shouldn't have any problems, just make sure the dash switch is in the same position as the actuator when you connect it (off).