Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ding Dong.......my snorkels here.........

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
.......or it would be if I'd been in for the post man so what I actually have is a post card letting me know that my Safari snorkel is in the same county as me now :lol:

Called them & he's going to drop it off tomorrow :D

This got me to thinking I wonder how long I should allow in terms of time to fit it :?: I've never fitted one before so will have to read the instruction obviousely :p :lol:

I met up with Chris on the M25 a couple of days ago & we brushed over the subject then :) He spoke of an 80mm plus hole saw that I'm sure I don't have but I do have a 110volt sabre saw (need to borrow a transformer though) & a busted half round bastard file somewhere (I think I saw the kids hammering it into the garden as a tent peg, so should be easy to lay my hands on).

So how long should I allow & do you have any other pointers for me :?:

IIRC it took me around 4 hours but I had to rush the last bit of it which I would rather have not done. I was working slowly with lots of panics in between. Start in the morning and take it slow. Not a "Snorkel Installing Contest."

Hole saw would be a better option than half a file or even a whole file ( :mrgreen: ) Where abouts are you? Could you beg borrow or steel one somewhere?

Need some Hammerite or red-oxide for touching up the holes you hack out.

Hole saw would be a better option than half a file or even a whole file
No hole saw I don't think but I do have a box of very old tools from my neighbours shed when he passed away, all a bit rusty & Victorian looking but may be something in there :) If not I do have one of those old style manual tin openers kicking around somewhere(think I saw it on the shelf below the BBQ @ the back of the shed) so if all else fails I could always fall back on that :shock: :? Well you know what I mean :lol:

So about 4 hours ish then :thumbup: Call it 6 with a liquid lunch @ half time & all should be well assuming I can find that file :thumbup:

West Coast 4x4 fitted mine for me.

Took about 3 hours.
Thomas was saying its one of the more difficult snorkels he has fitted.
They put lots of rust guard on the new exposed metal.
And a good black type mastic on all the air joints.

As always, a good job well done.

Graham

I know it's not the same truck but pretty much the same procedure, Gav and I fitted mine earlier this year and I did a bit of a write up which may or may not help you out a bit: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7369

Jim.

Get thee to Protrade or somewhere similar. RS on line do them too. You need an 83mm saw from memory. There is a top write up on LCOOL for a 90. No major bits, nice and slow, but use a hole cutter. Once you are into the metal, it's thin and with a reciprocating saw the wing just bends in an out. Messy. Use some spray cutting lube too. Get someone to spay it on as you cut.

Good meeting you. Very very tidy truck.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got my hands on it :dance: Saturday's the day :thumbup: Weather permiting :pray:

Held it up in place, looks sexy against the RED paintwork :D

P8190122.jpg

P8190124.jpg

I'll try to remember to take lots of pics & do an install thread :) If it all goes well of course :) ;)

Can't say for sure but I think that one is for the EU market 90 and does not fit the UK one? There was someone a while back that drilled all the holes and it ended up not fitting. :o :shock: Maybe someone else can confirm. :?:

Just kidding. ;) Looking forward the the pictures :D

Can't say for sure but I think that one is for the EU market 90 and does not fit the UK one?
Really :!: :shock: OMG :twisted: I'll get on the phone to 'em right away & check it out, I'll let you know :? They already supplied the petrol one by mistake :evil:

cheeky sods!
Sorry :oops: I no I'm new here but Crispin yanked my chain so I yanked his :) We then exchanged PM's & all's well that ends well :D

For me It's a sign of a good forum when you can have a bit of fun & I'm pleased I've found you all :D :thumbup:

So any more advice before I start drilling holes in my 'A' pillar :D

sae70 said:
So any more advice before I start drilling holes in my 'A' pillar :D

Stay away from the liquid lunch you referred to earlier :naughty: Might be a bad thing considering you about to point a drill at your shiny truck :hand:

OK so everyone is now back from swiming (normal Saturday in our house :roll: :D ;) ) kids & wife have just left to spend the day in Southend with one of her m8's :dance: :dance: :D :D :D

It must be Snorkel Time :dance: :dance: :dance:

I've amassed my weapons of choice & I'll post some pics up later on :D

Unless it rains then I'll just come in & watch a nice film :) ;)

P8210137.jpg

P8210138.jpg

I'm intrigued by the pointing trowel and the egg beater! :D :lol: :lol:

I'm intrigued by the pointing trowel and the egg beater!
Yep I'm with you there :thumbup: Bad choice of weapons :thumbdown: Both of those items have not been very much help at all realy :( :)

So about 3.5 hrs in and this is where I am :D

Just stopped for a bite to eat & a cupa while the paint dries & thought I'd post some piccys :thumbup:

Paint drying
P8210185.jpg

P8210186.jpg

Test fit to mark out 'A' post bracket :thumbup: :thumbup:
P8210180.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed :) Must get back to it before the rain starts :D

Back