Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Disappearing New Threads and Unread Issues.

Ecoman

Country Flag
scotland
When I do a search for new posts I get a list that I could go through and pick out the ones I wanted to read. If I want to reread a particular post in the same visit I could just click on new threads and it would be in the list somewhere.

Now when I try to reread a thread, I click on new posts and its no longer on the list. I cannot see a setting that allows me to change this.

Another issue I have is that any posts I have not read is still displayed under new posts the next time I log in, unless I click "mark forums read"

Is there any way to alter these settings as a user or is that controlled by admin and just a generic setting?

When I do a search for new posts I get a list that I could go through and pick out the ones I wanted to read. If I want to reread a particular post in the same visit I could just click on new threads and it would be in the list somewhere.

Now when I try to reread a thread, I click on new posts and its no longer on the list. I cannot see a setting that allows me to change this.
If you click on the Unread posts button then it shows you everything you have not read. If you then read a thread and click on the back button, it will still be listed there but show as read (title is not bold).
If you again click on the unread posts button it will remove it from the list because it redoes the search for unread posts and now that said post has been read, it'll not longer show.
Nothing much you can change there because it's showing unread posts and you're read them.

Another issue I have is that any posts I have not read is still displayed under new posts the next time I log in, unless I click "mark forums read"

Is there any way to alter these settings as a user or is that controlled by admin and just a generic setting?
Posts are marked as read when you read them. Logging out does not mark them as read so they will show up next time round. Is that what you're after? I can't see a way of doing this on a user basis. Might make you miss a log of stuff if you log out by accident or before reading it all.

While Cris is in the mood, and there is a link here on the subject of logging in and out, I now find I have to log in at every visit (safari on iPad) whereas I never used to have to do this. I've checked the "remember me" box, but it doesn't. Am I missing something obvious, or have the rules changed?:think:

The only thing that would cause that it the browser not allowing cookies to be stored on the device.
If you have any sort of plugin or anti-advert stuff installed, that might stop "tracking cookies" which, if daft enough, will also stop the browser remembering who you are.

Is this a new problem on this device Clive or has it always done this? Did it ever work on this ipad?

The only thing that would cause that it the browser not allowing cookies to be stored on the device.
If you have any sort of plugin or anti-advert stuff installed, that might stop "tracking cookies" which, if daft enough, will also stop the browser remembering who you are.

Is this a new problem on this device Clive or has it always done this? Did it ever work on this ipad?

No Cris, same iPad new problem.

I think it's me, using a shortcut that pops up, which is a stored cookie of a pre-sign in link. I really don't know what I'm talking about, but that seems to make some sense to me :?

Odd,

Try delete the shortcut, open a new browser and login (if you're already logged in, logout). Once logged in, create a new short cut once you can see the normal front page.
The short cut might be something odd like being a shortcut to the logout page.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That sounds perfectly logical Cris. I'll have a go at that, but I'm not hopeful! :icon-rolleyes: Anyway, worst case scenario is signing in every time, which isn't too much of a ball breaker.... :lol:

Thanks a lot attending to silly queries!

Last edited:
No Crispin that's not the issue I have. I don't use the "Unread Posts" button, I use the "New Posts" button. It used to display every new post since I was last logged in, regardless of whether it was read or not. Now it only displays the unread posts.

I also never had to click the "Mark Forums Read" button before I logged out as when I logged back in it would only show the posts since my last visit.

Its almost like we have two differently named "Unread Posts" buttons.

That sounds perfectly logical Cris. I'll have a go at that, but I'm not hopeful! :icon-rolleyes: Anyway, worst case scenario is signing in every time, which isn't too much of a ball breaker.... :lol:

Thanks a lot attending to silly queries!

Not the point Clive, if you left it logged in then you should stay logged in when you come back. I would find it quite annoying ;) Try the shortcut thing, see how that goes. Can do some other tests if you don't come right.

No Crispin that's not the issue I have. I don't use the "Unread Posts" button, I use the "New Posts" button. It used to display every new post since I was last logged in, regardless of whether it was read or not. Now it only displays the unread posts.

I also never had to click the "Mark Forums Read" button before I logged out as when I logged back in it would only show the posts since my last visit.

Its almost like we have two differently named "Unread Posts" buttons.

That's quite interesting. I too use the "What's new" button and don't get the dwindling list. If I read something and come back to the list, either by clicking on the back button or clicking on the What's New button, I see the same items in the list. They never vanish. To see that yours does all of a sudden is odd.

Here is what I can recreate which sounds like what you are seeing:
If I click on "What's new", I get a list of new posts or, as the forum seems to call it, "Activity Stream"
From there I can read any number of posts and clicking on on the "What's new" button always shows me the same (and newer) items.

If however, I click on the "What's new" button and then on the "New Posts" button, I get what you are describing - a list of posts which I have not read. As I read them, the fall off the list.

No settings have changed which might affect the way this works since the upgrade which was in October IIRC. When have you started noticing this? If it is recently then I don't know what to suggest.

I have just done some experimenting and this is what I have found.

The "Whats New" button and the "Activity Stream" button show exactly the same results. This is basically a transcript of every post, thread title and content of the posts

The "Unread Posts" Button and the "New Posts" Button show the same results. This is a list of posts that are unread. Once I read a "New Post" then it disappears and doesn't show again until someone posts in the thread. As UHU says, if you post in a thread then it disappears from the list and you have to go hunting for it should you want to go back and read what you have written or want to read other posts in the thread.

On the forum I moderate on we have a setting in the control panel which allows you to either, show unread posts, show posts from last 24 hours, show post since last visit, show posts from previous week, show posts from previous month. Each user can alter it to their own preferences. I looked about but cannot see a similar control so assumed it was an admin setting.

Not the point Clive, if you left it logged in then you should stay logged in when you come back. I would find it quite annoying ;) Try the shortcut thing, see how that goes. Can do some other tests if you don't come right.

OK :thumbup: I'll try it... Thx

I have just done some experimenting and this is what I have found.

The "Whats New" button and the "Activity Stream" button show exactly the same results. This is basically a transcript of every post, thread title and content of the posts
yup

The "Unread Posts" Button and the "New Posts" Button show the same results. This is a list of posts that are unread. Once I read a "New Post" then it disappears and doesn't show again until someone posts in the thread.
Yes, it's no longer new or unread so should not show up in the list.

As UHU says, if you post in a thread then it disappears from the list and you have to go hunting for it should you want to go back and read what you have written or want to read other posts in the thread.
I can't see a way to change this. Making read posts stay in the unread posts section will create a slew of complaints ;) The searches which run behind these buttons are global will affect everyone.

On the forum I moderate
What's the URL? If it is the same software as this then I'll take a look to see what I am missing.

on we have a setting in the control panel which allows you to either, show unread posts, show posts from last 24 hours, show post since last visit, show posts from previous week, show posts from previous month. Each user can alter it to their own preferences. I looked about but cannot see a similar control so assumed it was an admin setting.
That would be a handy thing to have as a quick link. I'll see if there is a mod I can install to do something like that or if you can create your own "summary panel" like the one at the bottom of the main page. I would be useful if users could create and save their own searches for stuff like this. I'll have a dog around.

There is nothing restricted from an admin PoV in the searches or user control panel and, mostly, everything is default which I take to be the best starting point for these settings.

I can confirm that this is happening to me also.

I didn't notice it yesterday (but can't be 100% sure) but it is definitely new.

For example....

I clicked "New posts"
Read this thread
Clicked "New posts" again and this thread was missing. Up to now it would still have been there but greyed out (not highlighted).

To find this thread again I had to....

Forum->Community->Member list->E->Ecoman->Find latest posts.

Note: I am talking of the "New posts" link.

newposts.jpg

The "New Posts" button doesn't show posts where you have replied yourself

I can also confirm that this is a PITA :)

Last edited:
The forum I moderate is a different software http://www.hpoc.co.uk so probably no good to you.

However, I'm also a member of http://www.bushcraftUK.com which is the same software and it works how I described.

Garfieldus described it perfectly, after you have read the post and then clicked "new posts" it will still be in the list but greyed out and not highlighted.

Found this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...and-troubleshooting/386777-new-posts-settings

See Steve Machol's answer.

It seems there might be a way if I change one of the settings but it's a global setting and has wider implications which are less beneficial.

I'll see if I can recreate what you see on the other forum but to me, and the forum, clicking New Posts shows new posts.

There was something a remember from a while ago about search duration which might be having the affect. Will see what I can find.

I've added a "Today's Posts" link under the forum button, that should show all posts for the last 24 hours.

I use quick links > today's posts which has been there a while.

Hope that helps, it'll show the last 24hrs and can get confused by time zones. A
So shows all posts, read or unread.

However, I'm also a member of http://www.bushcraftUK.com which is the same software and it works how I described.

I just had a look at the vBulletin (v4.2.1) forum that I administer and can confirm that it also works as you describe and how landcruiserclub.net used to work until very recently. In other words "New posts" are in the new posts list whether they have been read or not (until your next visit of course).

@Crispin, I'm on 4.2.1 on lcoc.ie and you're on 4.2.2 on landcruiserclub.net. How long ago did you do the upgrade to 4.2.2? I'm just thinking, if it was recently, maybe that's the answer.

Gary, the 'New Posts' have been 'vanishing' once read for quite some time now.

Back