Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do 80 series have asbestos in them at all?

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
Australia now has zero tolerance on asbestos making any sort of import fraught. It seems as though the UK banned most asbestos very early but white asbestos [chrysotile] in 1999 around the time the 100 series appeared. Brakes, brake lining, clutch and gaskets are the areas of concern on classic cars.
I'm trying to find some document that shows they they didn't. To be fair, my brakes are replaced and I have an auto. I know there have been reports of fake Toyota parts having asbestos but I'm feeling that a UK-spec having any would be remote - but how to prove it without testing? :think:

Any acceptable written proof as to wether or not the 80 series contained any asbestos would have to come from Toyota but getting this could be problematic. I would try contacting Toyota UK directly to start with as I can't imagine any dealer giving any such assurance. Brake and clutch linings had asbestos replaced with various substitutes such as metal, glass, ceramic compounds etc many years ago but it was also used in numerous other applications.

Simon, I am facing the same issue. Any luck finding supporting documentation? I have a 1997 FZJ80 and have had no luck finding documentation stating that the truck is asbestos free.

Jas no, Toyota didn't respond. Having spoken to a number of industry figures it seems by the mid to late 90s there was almost a certain chance there was none in them. However, that isn't good enough for the Aussie Border Force. I've found a company in the UK that will test the truck. I've been told that most imports to Australia come from the US so they are better geared up [the importers] to deal with it. I'm guessing you are shipping from the US? An Aussie company has solved it by doing the testing in the US before shipping so if that is the direction you are heading try them https://www.dazmac.com.au/dazmac-develops-solution-to-asbestos-ban/ - they don't have a solution for the UK because numbers are too low for them.

Thanks for the reply! Very useful information. I am actually shipping from Russia. I am doing an around-the-world overland trip across 6 continents ("overland world tour" on instagram) (I am behind on my posts, which show me in Cape Town). But yes, the truck is from the U.S.
Based on my review of the matter, maybe I can submit an "Assurance" that the vehicle does not contain asbestos? As support, I can attach a copy of the US regulations that banned asbestos in new cars in 1995. Since my cruiser was built and exported to the US in 1997, it should be asbestos free.
Of course, if I had easy access to a tester, I would go that route. But I do not.
Also, from what I have seen, the ABF has been targeting vehicles manufactured prior to the 90's.
I am certain my 80 series is asbestos free, but I still have my fingers crossed.
Best regards!

Simon: p.s. I am importing under a Carnet de Passage, so the requirements, in practice, may be less stringent. We shall see!
-JAS

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I’m curious to know exactly what the test for asbestos consists of and how thorough it is given the numerous uses the stuff was put to. Brake linings and possibly sound insulation easy to test but clutch linings, gaskets etc?

JAS I think you may have an ok argument using that line as there is some talk of customs overstepping their remit a bit - see this thread https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/imported-cars-and-asbestos.550026/ . However have a look at gtamerica's experience with two classic cars and the amount of damage caused during the inspection - they literally cut bits off for testing.

MOST importantly though, I think you will be fine with Carnet de Passage as the general rule is your home country has cleared it and for temporary Oz use [12 months] it is fine so I don't think it will get raised. At least you are prepared with the arguments.

I'm importing for personal use [moving back to Oz] so the rules are different to Carnet.

Hi Simon,

I was wondering how everyone ended up with the import of their 80 series. Im soon in the same predicament and I am wondering how you guys got your car in.

Many thanks.
Jan

Hi there. New to the community. SimonD, just wondering how you got on with the ABF and the issue of convincing them that the 80 series is asbestos free?

I'm moving home to Brissy from PNG and am wanting to bring my 92 model home with me as a personal import. I've got my import approval, but have hit the asbestos speedbump with the ABF.

I've contacted Toyota in PNG and TMCA, but neither have been able to provide me with any supporting documentation from Toyota that the 80 series is asbestos free. The best I have been able to get is a general statement from TMCA that any Toyota models imported from Jan 1995 will be clear of asbestos.

I would imagine anybody at all would shy away from offering a definitive answer to 30 year old construction techniques so perhaps if the question were to be camouflaged somehow ?

Hello i am restoring my car and current legislation prevents me from using original parts containing asbestos . With this in mind might you be kind enough to offer a list of parts containing asbestos and perhaps recommend alternatives ?

Back