Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dodgy oil? This could be expensive.....

Fuel pump news not the best - needs a new cam plate and lifter pump :angry:

First of the shiny bits just arrived:

Kevlar Clutch, new springs, upgraded bearing and flywheel grind:

clutch.jpg

Hav

Have you sent the pump off to be re conned then Roger?

Yes mate - it had a little weep on a gasket, so sent it for a birthday and to test out the injectors.

Interestingly, he knew I had run bio diesel through it at some point as he could see the "jelly" and other contaminants (even though filtered) - the scary part is that I only ever ran three tanks of the stuff before I had suspicion it wasnt good (build up around filler neck etc). That was approx 5,000 miles ago! Its only had pump diesel since.

The cam plate was showing signs of breaking up on the surface, it was his professional opinion that the hardness would soon wear through and then the pump would be ruined as it would self destruct. The lift pump was weak at best apparently - £150 for new cam plate and lift pump repair + agreed service cost.

There is a story to tell about some injectors I bought off a second hand parts dealer (obviously not you Karl) but I am waiting for the full story to develop before I tell it.

View attachment 126327 this is how mine is even tho it has fresh oil in it.

Mine has never been that low (but those gauges are a tell tale rather than precise I guess).

The problem for me was the pressure was and stayed significantly lower than only 15 mins before - something occurred - hence the strip down.

My turbo is being re-conditioned and made into a 22psi hybrid affair - the guy doing it said we caught it just in time as the bearings were just about to break through.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
t1.jpg t2.jpg

More shiny bits arriving - Turbo fully re-conditioned and improved - bespoke billet turbo wheel, machine housing - approx 60% increase on stock flow and 29psi safe

Although the oil pipes were full of carbon / crud - so pipe modified - I will do a full write up and who did what / recommended suppliers when its all done:

pipe1.jpg

pipe 2.jpg

Last edited:
Some more shiny new parts, Bolts, Seals, Gaskets and Hoses: All genuine Toyota - thanks to Julian at Overland Cruisers for sorting these.

Just the fuel pump to arrive and the rebuild can begin!

Engine gaskets.jpg

View attachment 126438 View attachment 126439

More shiny bits arriving - Turbo fully re-conditioned and improved - bespoke billet turbo wheel, machine housing - approx 60% increase on stock flow and 29psi safe

Although the oil pipes were full of carbon / crud - so pipe modified - I will do a full write up and who did what / recommended suppliers when its all done:

View attachment 126440

View attachment 126441
Who did the turbo rebuild roger? Ive got a spare that i want upgrading.

Who did the turbo rebuild roger? Ive got a spare that i want upgrading.

A long story short is that I happen to be good friends with a guy who lives next door to a semi retired turbo demi god! with a full engineering workshop at home - only 15 miles from me which was a bonus. Unfortunately for them, that means they live in Scunthorpe :) - somebody has too I guess.

The friend in question is not unheard of in the off-road scene, his name is Richard Wattam - he is of Rockwatt Engineering / RockLobster Suzuki gearbox fame and supplies Jimney and Suziki bits - hes a quality engineer in his own right. He skimmed the head of the land-cruiser (and removed a broken stud) for me also, along with setting up the diffs with solid spacers - a good guy to know and I would recommend his work to anybody.

Anyway, I can PM you Richards contact if you want, who will put you in touch with Gareth who did the turbo upgrade - tell him I passed you on and you should get a discount.

Not sure if the following facebook page link will work but if not search facebook for ROCKWATT ENG

https://www.facebook.com/RockwattEng/?pnref=about.overview

Had a good weekend rebuilding the lump (considering the fuel pump failed to deliver - another story of courier issues) - bottom end, head and turbo on.

A friend comes around, looks in the engine bay and stops play!....................

mount.jpg
Pan-hard Rod inner mounting (steering box mount side inner) - I plated the outer about 3 years ago.

So, Im going to get the engine sealed up, the get busy on this, its going to a be much easier to do with the engine out still.

Well the pump finally arrived yesterday - allowing the rebuild to get started........

1.JPG
Graphogen applied to bearing surfaces
2.jpg
Spot the deliberate error?

3.jpg Pump and Timing Gears on - love the simplicity of setting the gears

4.jpg
New front pulley (the old one was showing signs of rubber splitting)

A bit more done last night, water pump fitted, cam belt on, timing checked, turbo fitted, top cover on.

cambelt.jpg Turbo.jpg Aisin Pump.jpg

The only thing that "bothered" me - I bought a new water pump and went for the AISIN one as its OEM - but look at the pic - there has been some grinding off and a sticker applied - it did come in a full AISIN box - I wounder if AISIN are out sourcing now - it also had a plastic / composite impeller not a steel one.

A bit more done last night, water pump fitted, cam belt on, timing checked, turbo fitted, top cover on.

View attachment 127270 View attachment 127271 View attachment 127272

The only thing that "bothered" me - I bought a new water pump and went for the AISIN one as its OEM - but look at the pic - there has been some grinding off and a sticker applied - it did come in a full AISIN box - I wounder if AISIN are out sourcing now - it also had a plastic / composite impeller not a steel one.
My recent oem water pump had a plastic impeller.

View attachment 127270 View attachment 127271 View attachment 127272

Apparently aisin do the grinding off due to there comitments to toyota... its on rufftraxs website.

Apparently aisin do the grinding off due to there comitments to toyota... its on rufftraxs website.

Cheers Mike, I missed that, comforting!

I do rate Roughtrax as one of the better "bulk" suppliers, I think they do some decent research into the quality of their products.

Having the snip on Friday slowed up the weekend activities - light duties only :flushed:

Looking more like an engine now - inlet, injectors and feed pipes are on - note to others - make sure the tape you use for numbering the pipes stays on - I had 15mins of layout practice!

Engine 1.jpg engine 2.jpg

Another job ticked off the list last night - replaced the air compressor bearing as mine was getting a bit noisy.

I figured that although the bearing is a little pricey at £45, I would happily pay twice that if stuck in the middle of nowwhere without my on-board air (I use the aircon pump for onboard air but the priciple for bearing change stays the same either way).

Bearing Link Here

Its a very easy job, just need a 10mm socket, circlip pliers and possibly a gear puller (mine tapped off), A few pics:

ac1.jpg

Front clutch comes off with a 10mm socket (you need to put some small resistance to stop the clutch turning)

Pulley shown with the new bearing fitted

ac2.jpg
Clean up the electromagnetic coil with some scotch brite

ac3.jpg

Gentle clean up of the clutch mating faces - clutch to pulley

ac4.jpg

Re-Assemble (dont forget the little spacer that sits in the clutch mounting bore)

Runs as smooth as a greased pig on a marble floor now.

Its seen daylight - the first time in 9 months!

Gave me chance to clean off the mud (it came back on a trailer with about 200Kg of mud on it!)

daylight.jpg

Not all good news though, struck up from cold perfectly fine, but a misfire came in - it looks like cylinders 1 & 2 (no difference when I crack off the pipe) - these are the only parts not changed or upgraded - they were tested when I had the fuel pump rebuilt but I was advised to get some new ones as they are not the best (like a fool I said it could wait) - even though I bought these off a UK breaker who had said they were tested!

Back