Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dodgy oil? This could be expensive.....

What do you mean cylinders Rodger? Do you mean Pistons?
If it's injectors it's not a hard job.
Should have got the bits off me....

Ahh sorry mate, not explaining well - I suspect it is the Injectors on cylinders 1 & 2 - I cracked off the high pressure pipe and no difference in engine tone, its running on 4 pots now - I know mechanically all is good in there, the pump is rebuilt and delivering at pressure to the injectors. Going to swop in my old ones and see what happens, hopefully I should find time later this week. Being as it has started and run well on all 6 and it still starts at the sniff of a key on 4 pots, Im not too stressed about any major faults.

Yes I should of got them off you - I fell foul to a drunken eBay purchase about 2 years ago - not all breakers are as reputable as you Karl, I learnt the hard way.

Last edited:
no problem.
At least an injector swap is a minimal thing considering the work you have done. All good really. Apparently when the pump has had an overhaul the injectors should too to get the best from it.

I took out and stripped injectors 1 and 2 last night - injector no.1 pin was solid within the tip - it took mole grips to get it out, that pin should slide smoothly under its own weight when held at 60°. Fortunately the top of the pin is still hardened and only used to locate into a cup seat with plenty of tolerance so the small marking off the mole grips was of no detriment. Other than that they just had some minor carbon build up that came off easy with carb cleaner.

All running as should be again.

What a relief and congratulations on the rebuild Roger. Now its time to play again !

Yes Ben, certainly is, just got the diff oils to change and off we go :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm looking forward to hear how that rebuilt turbo goes! I just had a message exchange with Rockwatt ENG to investigate going down the same path.

Hoping for a road test next week Grant - MOT time :cry:

Its certainly working - whistles (loudly but nice) even on tick over!

MOT Passed with an advisory on a loose wheel bearing (I'm so annoyed with myself for not noticing it, but its the corner that's difficult to get to in my garage - excuse sorted)

Grant,

Go get the Turbo!
My Kevlar clutch is having a workout :grimacing:

Boosting up to 28psi at full load - normal driving (medium acceleration) - will see 18psi without trying.
You can drive nice and light and use the torque and keep boost under 12psi.
Boost coming in from way down in the revs.

Ive turned the fuel up 1 full turn on the pump - epic pickup, 2500 RPM, 60 (ish) mPH, 10psi boost, 220 EGT.

Charge cooler going on soon - then I can really play with the fuel.

charge.jpg
Test fitting to a friends dads motor - Jag XJ6 unit with a lot of custom fab!

Last edited:
MOT Passed with an advisory on a loose wheel bearing (I'm so annoyed with myself for not noticing it, but its the corner that's difficult to get to in my garage - excuse sorted)

Grant,

Go get the Turbo!
My Kevlar clutch is having a workout :grimacing:

Boosting up to 28psi at full load - normal driving (medium acceleration) - will see 18psi without trying.
You can drive nice and light and use the torque and keep boost under 12psi.
Boost coming in from way down in the revs.

Ive turned the fuel up 1 full turn on the pump - epic pickup, 2500 RPM, 60 (ish) mPH, 10psi boost, 220 EGT.

Charge cooler going on soon - then I can really play with the fuel.

View attachment 132989
Test fitting to a friends dads motor - Jag XJ6 unit with a lot of custom fab!
220 c ? Seems to be running nice and cool roger. So egts before you turned the main fuel screw up dropped significantly?

Thats a good question - VDO I think - I must admit its fitted a bot too far down stream so I always add a bit - its about 2" below the turbo exhaust flange.

220 c ? Seems to be running nice and cool roger. So egts before you turned the main fuel screw up dropped significantly?

I would say they increased slightly - my gauge isnt the most expensive but its the same one as previous so at least its a constant.

I was driving it a bit harder yesterday now the clutch is bedding in better, 3rd gear, 24psi and 32oorpm for about ½mile up hill saw 350°c

would be interesting to see what the EGT temp is reading pre turbo

Back