Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dodgy windows again!

John Burrell

Hello everyone, I'm having the normal problems with the electric windows on my 80 and as far as I can tell I need to replace the rubbers. The window in the rear door behind the driver came out of it's 'lifting bracket' during the snowy weather - probably frozen when I tried to lower it! When I delved into the mechanism to put it all back together I found I couldn't push the window down beyond halfway and when I got a little enthusiastic about it I got it well and truly stuck for quite a while! Surprising how strong glass can be isn't it...??

So before I spend any more time on it I need to find some replacement guide rubbers. Having read many of the old posts it seems I need to talk to Ian Rubie but although I PM'd him (or thought I did) I've heard nothing.
Anyone know his whereabouts?
Perhaps you are reading this Ian?
If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful. My home email is 2jb at g8ozh dot com or of course via the message system on this forum.
Thanks in anticipation.....
John

Hi John

Ian isn't normally off line for long. Hopefully he will see this post soon.

Oh! and welcome to the forum by the way :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum John :thumbup:

I only replaced my window rubbers a couple of weeks ago having got them off Ian. Is a really easy job if no snags in your runners. Three of mine only took about half an hour to do, then the last one took bl**dy ages due to something snagging the new rubber. Bit of trimming and loads of washing up liquid and it eventually went in. Makes a big difference - well worth it.

Please can anybody advise me of where i can buy some new window rubbers for my 80 too? My windows are painfully slow going down and need help coming back up again. Also i think my drivers window motor has given up the ghost all together so any advice on where i could get hold of one of those would be great. Thanks in advance.

PM Karl Wester on here for a motor - I'm sure he'll have one :cool:

I got my rubbers from Ian but haven't fitted them yet

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok thanks, will do that, just read that it also could be the switch so i'll test the motor with a power probe first to be doubly sure...

I'll try PMing Ian about the rubbers.... they 100% need doing. I can see where they may have shrunk over time in the top corners where they don't fit square anymore.

Back