Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

domestic solar panels.

Ok so you've got your money back in say 13 years but after that how much life is there left in the system?

The warranty these days seems to say that the solar panels will still get you 90%+ effectiveness at 25 years

Having read my own post earlier it rather reads like the battery system is some sort of Alchemy, …which it clearly isn’t. The test setup was in addition to an existing 5kwp grid tied solar system. In charging the battery, it self-consumes until it is fully charged from available solar. Excess then feeds into the Tesla and the water. If the excess is not there, clearly there is potential for a flat Tesla or at least not fully charged, and less hot water than required. Hence the manual fine tuning. Any excess over this on a really good production day is fed back to the grid. During charging, the ESS limits import/export to around 100w either way pretty quickly.

Having read my own post earlier it rather reads like the battery system is some sort of Alchemy, …which it clearly isn’t. The test setup was in addition to an existing 5kwp grid tied solar system. In charging the battery, it self-consumes until it is fully charged from available solar. Excess then feeds into the Tesla and the water. If the excess is not there, clearly there is potential for a flat Tesla or at least not fully charged, and less hot water than required. Hence the manual fine tuning. Any excess over this on a really good production day is fed back to the grid. During charging, the ESS limits import/export to around 100w either way pretty quickly.
I appreciate the insight into your solar panel setup. As for me, it's fascinating how you've integrated it with your existing grid-tied system and optimized it for self-consumption. Your approach to fine-tuning and managing excess power makes a lot of sense, especially to ensure your Tesla remains charged and you have ample hot water. But you can find more tips for your project from the solar panel installers.
Solar technology does involve a bit of trial and error, but it's all part of the learning process. Your experience serves as a valuable reference for those of us considering solar panel installations.

Last edited:
Back