Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dripping / spraying / sweating UJs?

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
As per other thread Dripping bell-housing on 120 manual, I was under the truck today for the handbrake (and to have a look-see)

I noticed the UJ on the rear prop shaft (T-case end) was very wet and spraying grease onto the chassis. Is this normal? Was it an over zealous filling in the recent service? I could fee no play on it.

One of the other UJs, front prop shaft, was just wet while the other was bone dry. So, who wins. The one spraying, the wet one or the bone dry one?

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

Cheers,

Pretty normal. Any grease that comes out of the UJ when you pump it in gets 'flung' up on the underside. You can't over-grease the UJs. OK, the slip yoke yes, but the UJ - Nah. Grease in grease out.

Chris

I'd be more concerned wether they didn't grease the one that hasn't thrown grease

if i haven't greased my ujs since i got it, which is about 8K miles should i be worried?

Jon Wildsmith said:
I'd be more concerned wether they didn't grease the one that hasn't thrown grease

Next question then: ;)
What grease does it eat? Normal grey "multi purpose" or something more refined? :|

normal wheel bearing grease AFAIK, that's what mine have always been fed ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, nothing special as Jon says. As they get older and the grease hardens in there, you tend to find that grease will spurt out of some angles of the UJ and nothing comes out of others. The needle bearings in there need grease or they dry up and turn into dust. Frequent sporadic greasing to keep it all on the move is probably better than religious periodic greasing. You'll hear it 'crack' when you get the old grease on the move. I generally stop when I see new grease coming out of the joints. If a vehicle has been neglected for a long time, it might be best to undo the bolts on the prop and give it a good wiggle around and grease until you can see each bearing get some. That is a bit drastic and not an everyday routine.

Chris

thanks chris ill add that to the list then

Thanks chaps - like Rob, I'll add it to the list. :roll:

Just be careful if you try to put lots of grease in as on some types of UJ you could dislodge the dust cap that protects the bearing rollers and allow dirt and dust to get in.

Not sure these have a dust cap do they? I know what you mean, but I thought that these were complete units just held in with a circlip. When you change them they just come out as one. Better with a dust cover in my view it keep the crud out and the casings are less likely to jam as you drive them out. Just don't push too much grease up the sliding joint. I know I have in the past, in innocence.

Chris

Back