Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Drive belts + alternator retaining bolt question

ajnabi said:
Just following this, as I've got a pretty prominent squeal when cold starting these days. Does anyone know what the torque settings are for the Pivot (Swivel) Bolt, and the Lock Bolt? Can't find anything in the FSM's/Haynes or Max Ellery's book.IQ
Yeah, me too, goes away when warmed up. . . . sometimes :roll:

ajnabi said:
Does anyone know what the torque settings are for the Pivot (Swivel) Bolt, and the Lock Bolt?
Just do them up as tight as you can with spanners (not sockets), that will be fine... obviously don't do this with the adjuster bolt :doh:

Agree with Paul. That's getting a bit surgical. Tight by hand / feel with a spanner or short socket wrench. Nipped, I'd call it.

Chris

All done this morning - with the help of Andy who MOTs my truck every August. My hand still incapable of holding a spanner tight enough so a tap from underneath shifted the alternator enough to let the bolt slide in and bite.

Now to find the source of a small oil leak...

I just tried to adjust the drive belts on my car, due to them squeaking when cold and have found that I have a stud and nut for the adjuster bolt ( the stud/bolt/what ever it should be going left to right on the car). It should be a be bolt I assume? So someone has probably broken it before!

Sorry for the stupid question, but to tighten the drive belts would I need to slacken off the 6" bolt underneath the car. Then use the adjuster bolt? To me it seems that if you tighten the adjuster bolt it will slacken the drive belts.

Thanks
Matt

Loosen Pivot Bolt at the bottom (14mm) - easier to access this from the bottom after taking the undercover off (4 x 12mm @ 21ft-lbs)
Loosen Lock Bolt at the top (12mm)
Tighten Adjuster Bolt (running left to right) to tighten belt(s). (12mm)

Drive belt deflection is:
New Belt: 6 - 8mm
Used Belt: 8 - 11mm

A belt is considered used once it's been in use for 5mins of the engine running.

I found the torque setting for the Pivot Bolt and the Lock Bolt on ih8mud at the following link:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/180598-alternator-smog-pump-use-lock-tight.html

Pivot Bolt: 43 ft-lbs
Lock Bolt: 15 ft-lbs

Bare in mind these are probably for a Petrol 80 ... hence the values might differ for a deisel.

Difficult to get a torque wrench on the lock bolt though.
For newbies and people with OCD, like me, torque settings are a good way to avoid over tightening bolts hence causing further problems.

But like Paul and Andy advise use a spanner to get a better feel of how much torque you're applying.

After reading this thread I've just done my belts today, and removed all the squeaking - thanks guys!
Careful how much you tighten the belts though - if they are too tight then this can cause problems with the bearings in the alternator and cause premature wear!
Hope this helps.

IQ

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cossack said:
ajnabi said:
Just following this, as I've got a pretty prominent squeal when cold starting these days. Does anyone know what the torque settings are for the Pivot (Swivel) Bolt, and the Lock Bolt? Can't find anything in the FSM's/Haynes or Max Ellery's book.IQ
Yeah, me too, goes away when warmed up. . . . sometimes :roll:

I believe it's more to do with the extra charge being created in the alternator than the belts being cold or warm....
Notice the noise disapears when the battery meter in the car comes up to it's normal position.

IQ

ajnabi said:
Used Belt: 8 - 11mmIQ
At what point on the belt should you measure the deflection :confusion-confused:

Cossack said:
ajnabi said:
Used Belt: 8 - 11mmIQ
At what point on the belt should you measure the deflection :confusion-confused:

Half way between the alternator pulley and the water pump pulley.
If you have 2 then you can use 1 as a reference against the other.

Back