Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Drivers Door Electric Mirror - How far can yours go ?

I'm still stuck on this, I tool the Amazon to my local Toyota Dealer - Dingles (yes they really are called that) Had the service man come out and have a look,
He poked it, moved it about, sat in the car and had a look, and agreed that all you can see is the side of the vehicle.
But did not know why. He could not recommend anything, basically saying they are all probably like that ?

SO im back to square one again.

If anyone can take a pic of their drivers mirror so I can compare that would be great please.

It's hard to be sure just from a single photo/view point but I agree that it looks like you have a mirror that would be fitted to a LHD car. Is this car or mirror new to you and the mirror has never been correct? It wasn't fine before then you changed the motor and this happened? The angles don't look right for the shape of a driver side mirror.

Last edited:
hi Jon Thank you for the reply,
It was flagged up when I test drove the vehicle in January.
Saxtons agreed to repair it and purchased a replacement motor for it, thinking it was a motor at fault.
I installed the Motor myself ( as its a 200 round mile trip to Saxtons ££) the result is exactly the same.

I have sourced a Amazon for sale locally, so im going to be cheeky and have a look at it tomorrow to see what the difference is.
Toyota want £405 for a replacement complete mirror and housing.

Ahh, now that's a bit more of the story methinks.

Milner do mirrors for £31 each. These are chrome and don't fold in electrically, but if it's only the mount and casing that you need you can swap the rest.

Brian, LHL & LHR does not look like good news to me.

I drive a LHD and the LH driver mirror is plain glass whereas the RH passenger mirror is convex.

The first picture you posted looks the same as my mirrors, but it's not that clear.

That aside, I can position my mirrors well beyond the ideal position in both extremes so that doesn't explain your problem fully.

MIRROR 006.jpgMIRROR 005.jpg
From key hole in drivers door to edge of mirror 28.5" passenger side is 30"
hope that helps.
Try sitting in passenger side & see if the range of vision is OK from there to see if it's from a LHD vehicle?

cheers
Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Top down view
MIRROR 003.jpg
my feet look tiny!!!

Last edited:
Good call Chris. I like it. Bit of the old lateral finking.

Brian, LHL & LHR does not look like good news to me.

I drive a LHD and the LH driver mirror is plain glass whereas the RH passenger mirror is convex.

The first picture you posted looks the same as my mirrors, but it's not that clear.

That aside, I can position my mirrors well beyond the ideal position in both extremes so that doesn't explain your problem fully.

The two mirrors in the picture I posted, are both plain glass (OEM). Our LC comes in many flavors :icon-cool:

Chris that's fantastic !

Now the conflictions start.
Before I reply to the measurements, I had a look at another Landcruiser on Saturday, exactly the same as mine, but had the Diesel Engine.
The drivers mirror and bracket was visibly less of a angle. So looked correct and was able to see the road and not the side of the vehicle when looking into the mirror.
Prooving mine is totally wrong and from a left hand drive amazon.

Now after seeing Chris and his measurement's, I went running outside to check mine............

The plot thickens.....
Drivers Door Mirror measurements ... 28.5 Inches Passenger Door mirror from lock .. 28.5 inches

Chris are you sure your drivers door isn't 30.5 ? with your passenger side 28.5 ?

1540470_10151855798066673_970293220_o.jpg

Looking at Chris`s Angle compared to mine, this confirms, the angle of mine is different !
This concludes the problem !

Chris that's fantastic !

Now the conflictions start.
Before I reply to the measurements, I had a look at another Landcruiser on Saturday, exactly the same as mine, but had the Diesel Engine.
The drivers mirror and bracket was visibly less of a angle. So looked correct and was able to see the road and not the side of the vehicle when looking into the mirror.
Prooving mine is totally wrong and from a left hand drive amazon.

Now after seeing Chris and his measurement's, I went running outside to check mine............

The plot thickens.....
Drivers Door Mirror measurements ... 28.5 Inches Passenger Door mirror from lock .. 28.5 inches

Chris are you sure your drivers door isn't 30.5 ? with your passenger side 28.5 ?

No I just checked again, drivers door is 30"

folded in it doesn't seem to fold away as much as the passenger one
MIRROR 007.jpg
glass angle when folded out:
MIRROR 008.jpg

Mine is easy to physically fold in or out - the difference might only be where the 'detent' is that holds it in place?

cheers
Chris

Oh heck... this continues !!!

Hi Chris, thank you for double checking.
Mine does fold in and out easily if you push it, there is two `detents` one where it wants to be and the other where it should be but wont stay in that detent and jumps back to the wrong detent.
I think we could be onto something here,
Time to dismantle it again I think.......

Got one problem with my mirrors. I can auto fold them in but they refuse to auto fold out again......HELP! Sorry I've been away for so long Jon.

I think you will need to check the motor is receiving a reverse polarity when you motor them back out.
Its either going to be a switch fault - not reversing polarity or a motor fault.

Back