Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Drivers Door Electric Mirror - How far can yours go ?

Country Flag
uk
I have a problem.
My Drivers door electric mirror does not motor out far enough for me to see the road behind me.

As far as it goes, I still see 75% of the Side of the car in the mirror.

I had fitted a new motor and tried to adjust, the mirror is simply back as far as it can go in the case.

The motor mirror retracts and fold in fine, it folds back out.

What are yours like ?

Also is there any way to turn off the automatic lowering of the mirrors when selecting reverse ?

Pic to follow....

1782366_10151847059361673_1333476724_o.jpg

On my 80 the mirrors are electrically adjustable but fold in manually, the mirror glass can be pushed in on a what sounds like a ratchet system allowing more adjustment, you could try that to get them where you want then they will be able to be adjusted normally via electrics.

Thank you,
If you look at the picture, the mirror glass on the right side is pushed back as far as it can go. Even if I force it further it wont go anymore, But you can see from the picture I can see 75% of my vehicle and only 25% of the road/drive.

Is it a new "thing" Can it be that the mirror (the glass it selves) is from a LH drive car?
I guess there must be a difference

to stop the mirrors dipping when selecting reverse just set the selector switch to the central position.
Like below:
switches002_zps04f918c1.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It looks like your mirror hasn't 'unfolded' far enough out?

OK I don't have a Hundee, but done enough mirrors. When you place 4 fingers on the glass, N, S, E and West and try to rock the glass gently does it have any movement in it? They can be a bit tricky to seat properly sometimes and it may simply be that the glass isn't correctly engaged in the snappy things inside, so in effect it's not clipped far enough back at the outer edge.

It looks like your mirror hasn't 'unfolded' far enough out?
Yes, or that the whole mirror is from/for a LHD vehicle.

Someone with another RHD car, take a pic of the mirror from straight above, to see the angle.

Unless I am mistaken, he hasn't changed the mirror, just the motor. Why would the mirror now suddenly be the wrong one if it was OK before.

Bit more detail required I think or we may be answering the wrong question.

OK I don't have a Hundee, but done enough mirrors. When you place 4 fingers on the glass, N, S, E and West and try to rock the glass gently does it have any movement in it? They can be a bit tricky to seat properly sometimes and it may simply be that the glass isn't correctly engaged in the snappy things inside, so in effect it's not clipped far enough back at the outer edge.

- quick thread hijack - Chris - how do you get the glass out without breaking it? Mines vibrates a bit and i'd like to take a look see behind to see if i can sort it. thank you!!!

I changed the motor, hoping it was the motor at fault _ it wasn't.

WHen I push the glass N E S W I can force it to click out to the farthest, - Which is the setting I have taken a picture of, it just wont go out any further.

So Yes maybe its from a LHD car ?

The motor that drives the Mirror housings in and out is fine, I press the button and the mirror folds in, and it fold out and clicks into its proper place.

I do think it may have been changed ? in the past to a left hand drive version, this would then highlight the problem I have.

WHat do you guys think ?

There is a screw hole in the bottom of the plastic housing Adrian. Thin posidrive or something. That lets the whole glass and platten drop out forwards. The glass is bonded onto the platten and in turn that fixes into some pretty frail clips that often break. That's why your mirror wobbles about. The movement is three? ball and cup push fit joints that allow the mirror to move around.

don't take the glass out ! its a knightmare ! theres a 50/50 chance the glass will break and a 50/50 chance of breaking the plastic clips that hold it in

noo, not if you do it right. Bit of a knack to it though.

Glass our fine thanks Chris. Clip top right was snapped. a little thick double sided foam tape in its place, and the bottom screw nice and tight and the vibration is greatly reduced.

People try to take the glass out without knowing how I think. I have had loads that were broken like that. They miss the little screw hole underneath and rast away at it until it breaks.

The Milner replacement ones look really very good actually. I might have a pair of contrasting black ones on mine. They aren't shonky at all.

mirror1_zps2744f3f7.jpg
Took a picture of my mirrors - I guess it indicate differences between RHD and LHD
the mirrors from my left hand car reads #Left hand right and left hand left"

Back