Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Driving with no tailgate

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
As some of you may know my tailgate window has just been smashed. Autoglass wanted best part of £700:shock::shock::shock: to replace it but thankfully Mr Webster has come up trumps and is bring me a replacement door to lincomb. Now I was thinking of replacing the broken glass in my original door with chequer plate but am not going to be able to get that done in time for the weekend.

This creates a little bit of a problem. I have a feeling that the tailgate on my 90 will not fit inside the car so I would have to drive down to lincomb with it on swap it for Karl's new one and then cut through the pillars to get it home again.

Then I thought about all the soft top landy's you see about and wondered if it would be legal to drive down to lincomb with the door off. fit new one when I get there and bobs your uncle.

Only other option I suppose would be to stick my roof bars in and put it on the roof.

Still interested to know if anyone knows weather it would be illegal to drive with the door off though.:icon-question:

Cheers
Blakie

Does your insurance not cover all glass breakages as well as windscreen? as for the legality of driving with no rear door, I would think if there's nothing loose inside it should be OK, but you're liable to get exhaust fumes wafting in.

I can't see why it won't fit inside.... you would only need to put it in sideways and across the diagonal to get it through the door.... unless of course you are going to be fully loaded already :think:

Should fit in mate. Worst case I can take it home with me and you could collect when your next in my area.

Don't the Prados come with food rails? Have you got roof rails that you could put the door up on for the journey home?

Not a prado Steven. infact it was once a a totally bog standard GS Model. So no roof rails. have got some decent roof bars though so should be ok with them. Thanks for the offer Karl I may take you up on that depending whether or not I get chance to strip all the door cards etc off it before the weekend.

Chas My cars insurance doesn't have any glass cover whatsoever. I am a 28 year old male living in hull with no NCB so my standard insurance quote is up near the 2K mark never mind adding window cover. However, seen as though I have now had to replace the front and back in the last 2 months it may be worth paying the extra. but you can guarantee that if I do then I will never have a problem again.

Cheers
Blakie

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What i meant was i can take your old one home with me if you cant get it back. We can swap the doors there. Ive always got tools with me :eusa-snooty:

Yeah I know Karl. I just meant I didn't fancy putting the old one on the roof on the way home with all the interior stuff on and it getting persistingly wet through con you can guarantee it will rain on the way home so was planning to strip it down before I set off, swap over when I get there then up on the roof me thinks but depends weather I get chance this week as time and space are running out.

Hi Blakie,

I am sure it sounds a better idea to maybe just loosen off all the holding bolts on the rear door you have on now.
So when you guys arrive at Lincomb, its would be pretty quick to swap over, and line it up, just so it closes for the day.
I guess with the talent down, it would take less than 15 minutes so swap over.

As for cutting through the pillars to get the old one back home, just throw it in the car park, let a few Land Cruisers ride over it, then just fold it in 4 pieces !

If the bolts on your door are loosened off your door, swap time would be very quick.

Gra.

Thats one way to go Gra. I was kinda hoping to get it back home in 1 piece so I can replace the window with Chequer plate and the sell on the red one to save me spraying it and save any more broken back windows.

Blakie

Ha, :icon-biggrin:ha, :lol:ha,:icon-rolleyes:

I didn't know you had further plans for it !!!

here is me thinking you just wanted to take it away ,:dance:

Gra.

Back