Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Driving without front CV Shafts

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
Still not got my front Diff issues and the unit it has been in for the last couple of weeks is now needed again. So I was wondering weather there would be ant detriment to driving it with the front CV (half) shafts removed completely. Off the top of my head I think it should be fine but a mate of mine is worried about wheel bearings.

Personally I am pretty sure that the splined shaft is just held in place but the big nut and I am pretty sure it doesn't hold the wheel bearing in place.

Any advice anyone???

Cheers
Chris

You will fill everything up with crap off the road, I personally wouldn't risk it.

you can drive with no shafts in the front but yes the wheel bearings will be open to contamination -o and you cant go offroad cos the car will be totally hopeless ,my car had a bust cv and could not move in a flat wet grass field :oops:

I dont think it would be wise to drive like that
As the hub is pressed into wheel bearing and held in place by nut on end of cv shaft

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

third diff also needs to be locked up, I did it with mine to get home when i broke a CV and I have to sa the transfer case did seem to get warm for some reason

Sorry guys. A little more info for those that don't know already. No front diff I atm. Cdl engaged. Have spome to mr peter. He has been running his hundy with no front diff or shafts for c.500 miles and all seems good. Just stuff the holes with blue roll and gaffa everything up. Tbh probably only gonna move it into the yard and out of the unit anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thats exactly what I did with Lil Blue when I broke the drive shaft. I drove it home (2hrs) from Lincomb with centre diff locked and the gaping home tapped up. I probably would not do it long term, but ok for emergencies

If you unbolted the ring gear from the diff centre and refitted every thing else it would be totally sealed. Better than maybe filling the diff with road muck.

Back