Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dropping the rear of the radius arm to correct caster on a 80 series 24v manual

I guess the reason they don't fit the manual version is because of the position of the cross member? I haven't looked at mine yet (been busy) but I understand they are in different locations. The N4 bash plates that I fitted went on both transmission without any issues though.

Good explanation on that page. For a big lift it's worth it. Have to say I put 5' on mine and didn't need to for my purposes. CC plates did enough

There called Drop Boxes and there are a few companies making and selling them. :icon-wink:

The only drop boxes I have come across are the man-a-fre ones I refer to in post #1 and are the same as you refer to in your post.

But please tell me who the other companies are.

For a big lift it's worth it. Have to say I put 5' on mine and didn't need to for my purposes. CC plates did enough

What plates did you use Chris and how many degrees of correction did they give you?

The only drop boxes I have come across are the man-a-fre ones I refer to in post #1 and are the same as you refer to in your post.

But please tell me who the other companies are.

Apologies, it was late last night when I replied and I obviously didn't read your post properly. :oops:

I know lots of companies make drop boxes for different 4x4's, but have never looked for 80 ones before and like you say Man-a-fre (bloody stupid name BYW) seem to be the only ones doing them.

Are the chassis different on manuals and autos? Obviously the cross member is but is the actual chassis different?

In the US they only got auto 80's AFAIK, so thats obviously why it says there for autos.

But I wonder if they would still fit a manual. :think:

I think it masks the mounting points for the box, Ben. As you can see in the pics, the back f the box bolts right up agaiinst the X member. If that was further forward, it would foul. Nothing an hour in the shop couldn't cure, I'm sure.

Apologies, it was late last night when I replied and I obviously didn't read your post properly. :oops:

I know lots of companies make drop boxes for different 4x4's, but have never looked for 80 ones before and like you say Man-a-fre (bloody stupid name BYW) seem to be the only ones doing them.

Are the chassis different on manuals and autos? Obviously the cross member is but is the actual chassis different?

In the US they only got auto 80's AFAIK, so thats obviously why it says there for autos.

But I wonder if they would still fit a manual. :think:

Ok, thanks Ben. Yes, I've been in touch with man-a-free (I agree about the name) and they say they have no intention of producing a drop box for a manual. He said they have never actually seen a manual 80. They gave me the email address of a person in Norway who bought them and modified them to fit a manual. I sent an email a week ago but no reply. I wouldn't want to drop the rears (of the front radius arms) more than 50mm but don't know if that will be enough.

I'm now leaning towards the Slee plates for the axle end of the ra but am concerned at how close the radius arm and steering arm will be. I'm waiting for Karl to tell me that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What's your opinions on Slee's Caster/Camber bearings?

http://sleeoffroad.com/products/products_drivetrain_driveshaft.htm

Bugger, damn, I was looking for these for ages to correct the camber on my bent 80 front axle casing, didn't know Slee made them.

I know a company in the states that make them for the 70 series, and after a long chat with one of their guys who uses them on his comp truck, I was convinced they were good.

Just check how to use them, each bearing delivers 1 degree I think, so if you mount them opposing each other top and bottom, you'll get 2 degrees at each wheel. If you only want 1 degree, then leave one of them OEM.

Check this first though, don't just go with my ramblings!

I used the man a fre drop brackets and they are great. First I used plates in the front, but the contral arms were hitting the steering? bar.
I have OME850J springs in the front. (with ARB bumper and 12500lbs winch)
I don't know why the plates weren't any good. I bought them especially for the 80...
The man a fre brackets are really solid.

fKEgyV8IjtYpwstJKZdYJ-SPC5k97UoIWV3GLPd0vM0=w1208-h680-no.jpg

DSC_4557.jpg

I don't have pictures of the drop brackets apparently... I found this picture where you can see them a little bit.

(864 super heavy load springs in the back, just a lot off stuff :)

DSC_5162.jpg

I used the man a fre drop brackets and they are great.

Yes, but as I said in post #1....

Man-A-Fre make them for an auto but say that they don't fit a manual.

Unless yours is a manual and you altered them. If so can we have pictures please?

When I asked Christo Slee how close the steering arm would be to the radius arms if I fitted their plates, he said that they would probably touch!!

Last edited:
I have an automatic, but I just wanted to share the info that my plates weren't a good fit. An other problem was that the rubber stopper that sits in the middle of the coil spring would hit the coil instead of the axle. It was not fun to drive.
That isn't the case with the drop brackets. The angle and position with the brackets are just better.
I think a good metal shop would be able to make own brackets. It's not rocket sience. It just lowers the attachment point of the arms a certain distance (depending your lift) in a vertical line.
In Mongolia I saw a lot of cars driving 35" tires with huge lifts. They all had "home made" drop brackets. I asume they were home made because I saw at least 3 different ones. And Mongolia isn't that crowded :)

Back