Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Earth fault! I think.......?

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Just got back indoors from fitting a pair of Ring Micro Cruise lights to the tops of Fiery's chassis rails, just like this...........

P1010405.jpg

They are the ones that I was going to fit into the side mirrors viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8564 but off to Wales this weekend & thought they would make a nice addition to my package :D ;)

Anways bought a Ring fitting kit (relay, wires, fuse etc) all is now fitted & looks good if I do say so myself :) But they do not illuminate :? :think: Anyways cut a long story short all is working fine, but the chassis that I've earthed the lights to is not earthed itself :o :!:

Should it be & if so where is the earth strap :?:

I would just run an earth wire to your lights from the earth point just inside the wing by the battery. I did this on mine to make sure of a good connection. I sleeved the cable in flexi conduit and ran it down alongside the aircon pipes and through the hole just underneath the pipes. The conduit carries both cables to my lights and the relays are up by the bulkhead out of the weather, etc.

I would be inclined to put one of them heavy duty braided type earth leads, from the negative terminal on each battery, to the chassis rail just under each battery.

If you simply earth the lights "earth baracket" to the battery, you may find there will be other "earth currents" wanting to run along it.
As it appears at the moment the chasis is not earthed, or not earthed sufficiently.

The "unknown" additional earth currents at some possible time, may cause your new wire to burn out at some point.

G.

I had a good look around the engine bay & along the chassis rails this morning for any signs of a chassis earthing strap & found nowt :? So popped into my local MF after this mornings school run & bought a 300mm (12") pre made battery earth strap with a large ring terminal crimped onto each end for £2.99 :) Back @ home & after another good look around I found the earth strap onto the engine (off-side side of block) & a nearby convienient bolt holding a pipe bracket of some kind to the chassis rail :) It didn't take long to get it fitted after I'd removed the engine/sump skid plates & now my new lights burn bright & strong :thumbup: Odd though :?: :!: I wonder what the OME solution is to earthing the chassis :think: Maybe there should be a braided link across one of the engine mounts :? :)

Back