Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electronic Rust Prevention Systems unit

Never heard of these guys, but I do remember years ago in South Africa similar producs were available. Never tried them myself but folk who had them installed swore by them. I seem to remember the ones that were sold had a sacrificial bit of metal that corroded... but memory is a bit vague.

Yes I've heard of them from my Brother in Canada where they are widely used successfully apparently.I think he's got one on a truck of his (a Jeep Grand Cherokee).

Available in the UK here. Gotta say I've never heard of this before but I'm intrigued :think:

Snakeoil !

If rust prevention could be packaged in such a small container, well ....

They wouldn't coat every metal surface with a huge variation of coatings and paints.

In the RN the ships have cathodes on the hull, Basically a large lump of sacrificial metal that rotted away in the salt water whilst protecting the hull.
Mind you, the voltage used was massive in comparison to a cars 12v.
Then again a destroyer is massive in comparison to a car :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The rust proces on a car is nothing like that encountered on ships.

On a ship the hull is mostly submerged in a conductive medium called seawater.
And the rust proces on a ship is mostly electrolysis.

On a vehicle you have millions of wet spots and the wet spots are never in the same place.
So you need to encase the entire chassis and bodywork in sacrificial metal and would need to place millions of these dc current providers everywhere.

Hence car manufacturers are using zinc coating or phosphating conversion coating. And several other coatings to withstand rust.

Have a look at electrolysis and with a bit of chemistry found in the kitchen cubbord and a small battery you can copper and nickel plate small coins.
Great for a winter weekends fiddling about.

Back