Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine change

Nathan2905

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys

Gonna sound like an idiot for asking this. Got a 80 series and the engine is starting to go on it. It's a 4.5L petrol and I'm thinking of upgrading. I'm new to the 4wd world and dont have much knowledge so coming here for some advice. I want to upgrade the engine to something a bit more powerful like a twin turbo v8 off of a 200 series but am not even sure if that engine would fit in my 80 series.

Any help on what to do? Does it fit? any concerns with the engine change? any other suggestions for a replacement engine with a bit more grunt.

Cheers

Sounds like a great idea. Anythings possible with enough money & expertise.

A cheaper option so I seen is a American V8 LS motor more seen on IHMUD forums.

The 200 series is substantially larger than an 80 series so the V8 would be a very tight fit but I would imagine getting it to actually fit in the engine bay would be nothing compared to the nightmare of plumbing in and wiring a modern electronically controlled engine such as the twin turbo V8 is. Probably far easier and maybe cheaper to use a less complex well proven V8 from the US. JMO

Last edited:
Get the 4.5 rebuilt and turbo/super charge it.

As said above the LS engine is a common swap, there's adapters available to bolt one in.

Depends on how much more power you want.

Internet problems mean i can't open the page to grab a link but if you search google for - current engine range peachment they were , last time i looked , offering an increasing number of Toyota engines in marine spec which are almost always considerably more powerful than the truck engines on which they are based .

thanks for the suggestions guys. thinking I might just rebuild and supercharge. the engine is sweet as is and am just looking for a bit more power. also anyone know the cost to get a fresh coat of paint on the car? mines falling off and looking to get it shining like new

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Quite a few people turbo charge them so lots of information for it. All depends on budget.

Companies like chip torque in Aus offer management solutions for the 1fzfe.

thanks for the suggestions guys. thinking I might just rebuild and supercharge. the engine is sweet as is and am just looking for a bit more power. also anyone know the cost to get a fresh coat of paint on the car? mines falling off and looking to get it shining like new

If you spend the time preparing the body work, then you could get the price down quite a bit because a lot of the expense in repainting a car is in the labour required to sand the old paintwork down to accept the new paint finish. You don't need to go back to the bare metal, but if you do over sand and expose some metal then just spray some gray primer on it to prevent rust. A couple of weekends work should have it ready for its new paint.

Clear your approach with the body shop first. I would not paint on old paint in case of a reaction. I would for a friend though.

Asking the cost of a respray is a bit like asking the length of a piece of string. Get quotes up front for exactly what work you want doing. Nothing to stop you doing most of the prep, rust repairs, filling, sanding etc but if I was spraying a car brought in pre-prepped with old paint of uncertain origin still on the car I would at the very least want to apply an isolator. Two pack is probably your best bet for durability but not necessarily the cheapest. JMO

Back