Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine died when hot

Mike the Bike

Country Flag
uk
Hi
I have a 2004 120 LC5 auto, with around 140k on the clock and have had a problem.

Having driven 250 miles up the M5, M4, M25 and A1M at a leisurly 60-70mph no stop, i arrived home and parked up. 10 minutes later i went to the local shops about a mile away and sat and waited for the wife to shop, with the engine ticking over. After around 5 minutes the engine died.

Turning the starter over it fired and stopped. Tried this many times. Then held throttle open and eventually it caught and revs raised. Would not idle.

After many futher attempts i got it started with throttle open, and held revs at around 2000rpm for 3-4 mnutes, close the throttle and it stopped. Repeated this around half a dozen times and it finally settled at idle.

It has all the classic feeling of vapor lock, but on a diesel.

Ran perfect the next day, right on the button as ever.

I have checked for air leaks, new fuel filter etc, nothing. Did a scan and showed P0045 Turbo/supercharger boost control solenoid circuit open.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would look at multiplugs on the wiring....chaffed wire etc.....
It's a common rail engine so the ECU will control all engine parameters including tick over....
Clear the fault and drive it and see what faults if any reoccur

Anything unusual just before it happened? Did you just refuel?

Whats your fuel pressure like?

What type of SCV have you got?

Nothing at all strange happening before the issue.

I had half a tank of fuel, full tank when i started out, 250 miles previous.

Not sure what SCV i have, what are the differences?

Not sure what SCV i have, what are the differences?

There's two types, a short (older) one or a long one. The short ones can fail and lead to the engine cutting out or not starting. Toyota (Denso?) replaced them with the longer version, and they dont seem to be problematic. When they fail, I dont think they produce a fault code as such, but apparently the fuel pressure jumps around a lot more than with the newer ones.

I think most 120 owners on here have replaced its, so there is information all over the place here if you search for it!

Have a look at this video too.

PS: Do you have a check engine light? Did that turbo fault code come back? Not sure that would stop the engine...... ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There are two types of the longer SCV valves, make sure you get the correct one if you do replace it. Take a read of this thread

There is a previous thread on here about 120 scv, and suppliers, which looking at them,
PF Jones is not a favourite. Pay the extra involved and go to a reliable supplier such as Roughtrax, as mentioned by karl2000, or Grimbos supplier. TonyPs vid is useful too, if you have to replace.

Back