Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine hard to start, then starts and dies 5mins later, then wont start, Help!

Right, I have a quicker update than expected as I decided to have another root at it there tonight before the football. :)
I disconnected the pump supply hose at the fuel filter and put it directly into a jerry can of diesel and the jeep runs fine this way. I turned the engine off and started it again and it started straight away with the hose still in the jerry can. I left it idleing for 10 mins and theres no problem.

I then, put the hose back on the filter and started it and left it running and it ran for a bit longer than before and then started struggling and cut out as before. So the main problem is somewhere between the filter back to the tank. I crawled underneath and looked at the hoses/pipes up at the top of the diesel tank but cant see anything wrong, no sign of leaks. Is there a small pump in the tank, is the pick-up a sort of pump, theres electrical connectors so I assume there is? Maybe this in-tank pump is goosed?

I serviced the whole cruiser only 2000miles ago, I used a spurious fuel filter, its hardly the problem? When i had the pump supply hose off the filter, i pressed the prime bulb and fuel came out the pipe end so it cant be blocked? Also, when the engine was running off the jerrycan I pressed the prime bulb and it had plenty of resistance so that whole filter/priming area seems fine?

I only put my towbar on 2weeks ago and looks like ill have to pull it off again now to drop the tank, pain in the balls, but better than having to remove the injection pump i suppose.

Just a thought but could it be the fuel itself ?

Just a thought but could it be the fuel itself ?

It won't be the fuel, these engines will run on anything remotely oil like.

My money is still on air in the system.

I'd trust that the diesel in the tank is good as I only use the 1 reputable petrol station. Wheres the most likely place for air to enter considering the engine runs fine with the jerrycan directly feeding the pump. The blanking plate cant be the source of the air seen as the engine runs ok from the jerrycan.

Im just thinking, if I could connect my jerrycan up to the fuel supply line back nearer the tank it would help to establish if the tank or the lines are the problem. Am i correct in assuming the skinnier of the 2 hoses at the tank is the supply and the fatter hose is the return. If I pull the supply hose off the tank and put it in my jerrycan and if the jeep runs fine like this then the tank (pick-up) has to be the problem, yeah?

Some likely culprits are the pipes on top of the fuel tank. The pickup pipe and associated bits.

They might look fine but they are known to go porous.

There are other threads regarding the fuel lines where they come out of the tank getting pin holes in them and sucking in air. There is something else that may have happened which was a common problem with my Land Rover Discovery in which the pick up in the tank became blocked with a waxy sludge which is a residue from diesel. I clean it out an all is fine but it only seems to last a couple of years. This can also be caused if you've ever put bio fuel in the tank as it will completely remove any crap that's sitting in the tank or lines.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fatter pipe is the supply and the thinner is return.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Fatter pipe is the supply and the thinner is return.

Cheers! I put disconnected the fat suppluy pipe at the tank, added a bit of hose to it and stuck it in my jerrycan. The cruiser ran fine like this so the problem is definitely in the tank. Looks like Ive to take my towbar off now. Hopefully the pickup gauze filter just needs cleaning.

Good stuff, was the first thing I did with mine, was also a good excuse to paint the tank guard.

Money is on the fuel filter needing a clear out. I didn't even bother putting one back in

Money is on the fuel filter needing a clear out. I didn't even bother putting one back in
But how could it be the fuel filter when its practically new and the when the engine runs from a jerry can of diesel in place at the tank. And why would you want to run the jeep with no filter.

I think Beau is referring to the filter within the pump rather than the main fuel filter but still if it runs fine from a jerry can the problem can't be at the pump .

Just updating this as I had time to work on it today and got it sorted :)
Whilst, disconnecting the fuel hoes from the tank to run through my jerrycan of diesel last week to help declare the tank the problem, I noticed the fuel hose had a bit of a kink in it because the hose was too long and soft. It may have gotten disturbed when I fitted the towbar couple weeks before. Heres a couple pics of hos the hose was and how it is now after I trimmed it.

FuelTankhosetrimmed_zpsc449211c.jpg

FuelTankhose_zps4543bfdb.jpg

I also got a blanking plate in a breakers to fix the leak at the pump, this was a little fiddly but doable none the less once you can see what you're doing and have a decent 5mm allen key. Pic of the old patched up plate and gasket from a previous owner and the new plate from the breakers below.

Oldpumpblankplate_zps4c57b017.jpg

Oldandnewblankplates_zpsd04c3f63.jpg

Last edited:
Result :clap: its astonishing how over thinking a problem can lead us down the most complicated route to a fix , a kinked pipe :lol: glad you got it sorted :thumbup:

Result :clap: its astonishing how over thinking a problem can lead us down the most complicated route to a fix , a kinked pipe :lol: glad you got it sorted :thumbup:

Yeah, the cheap simple fixes are the best. I was all set this morning to take the tank off but was a bit hesitant to because that meant pulling the towbar off and it was awkward to fit as I had to retap most of the rusty captive nuts and bolt holes. I'd been pondering the kink I seen in the pipe all week but was between 2 minds if that really was going to be the problem but this morning thought i'd try it first and luckily it was the problem. :)

Just want to say thanks to everyone that replied to my thread though, even though it turned out to be a simple fix I dont think i'd have found it if I hadnt read the helpfull posts in this thread which lead me to try the jerrycan direct to the pump, tank pipes, etc. Its a very good forum, from searching and reading related threads I found a lot of useful info and pictures which helped a lot as I knew what to expect when taking off the pump blanking plate thanks to pictures I found on this forum. It makes a big difference when you go to tackle something for the first time and have a picture or a description to refer to. I came across a great thread on servicing the pump with very detailed pictures, think it was posted by "Beau" and included the procedure for cleaning the 3 pump filters, I didnt even know it had 1 filter, made for interesting reading and is something I now plan to do in the near future. Thank god I didnt race in and whip the pump off as I was going to initially! :icon-biggrin:

Hopefully, Ill be able to post a few helpfull replies to other members threads on the forum in the future to return the help!

Hear hear re the forum!
I think the blanking plate was a red herring (leading to overthinking the problem) as it didn't account for the running for 5 mins and then cutting out.
I'm pleased for you that the problem was easily solvable. It'll be worth remembering when a problem occurs in future to ask oneself, "What changes or modifications have I done recently?"
Thanks for the pics.
Regards
Cameron

Back