Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine rebuild start up oil pressure

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
As I'm entering the final stages of the full engine rebuild I was wondering.....

How long should it take for the oil pump to feed all that it should?

All moving parts were coated with Graphogen during the build so the initial start up should be fine but, as the oil pump will have to suck up oil from the pickup before it can start feeding the system, how long should it take?

I did 'inject' the 10cc that the manual recommends in through the small 5mm allen key hole on the side of the oil pump housing.

I normally crank the engine with fuel off till the oil light goes out.

Paul said:
I normally crank the engine with fuel off till the oil light goes out.
I did think of that, I wasn't sure if the cranking speed was enough to get the pressure up... I'll give it a go :thumbup:

I do tend to give a squirt in the the turbo feed pipe too

Paul said:
I tend to use the drain round the side of the house when outside with dirty hands :D

Thanks Paul :thumbup:

On the whole,spinning the engine with the glow plugs out until oil pressure shows is a good way to get instant oil pressure on start up.(assuming oil pump primed etc).while spinning over there is no pressure on components.
its always worked for me.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bat21 said:
Paul said:
I tend to use the drain round the side of the house when outside with dirty hands :D

PMSL

Mal :flags-wavegreatbritain:

Did you pack the oil pump with petroleun jelly as you built it?

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
Did you pack the oil pump with petroleun jelly as you built it?

Paul
No :?

I followed pages LU12 and LU13 *here*, in particular LU13 2a, b & c.

I was always told to as it will help pick up the first oil. Better than running the pump dry.

Paul

Looking at the manual you can prime the pump anyway. So the way I have posted might not be needed.

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
Looking at the manual you can prime the pump anyway. So the way I have posted might not be needed.

Paul
Phew, thanks Paul... I can relax now :thumbup:

Back