Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Essential vehicle spare parts for remote area travel

A couple more suggestions
Spare bulbs may be handy.
Spare key zip tied to speedo cable or somewhere outside the vehicle.
Rags
Spare bulbs are a legal requirement in most of Europe so a good call

Latex gloves.
Waders.
Powdered water.

Once in travelling in Russia I had a rear prop UJ go and had a bit of a mission getting a replacement. Turned an hour repair into most of a day, and if the police didn’t get involved I may never have got one! So I’d carry one of those!

Also I second roof rack mounts, I broke two on the same trip and had to ratchet strap the rack to the roof through the doors, fine until it rained and the water seeped through the straps and dropped onto the steering wheel!

That is indeed a compliment. No CG I spun it up on my lathe.

top job.

for those after a quick fix I ground out three notches on a socket. works well enough.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Once in travelling in Russia I had a rear prop UJ go and had a bit of a mission getting a replacement. Turned an hour repair into most of a day, and if the police didn’t get involved I may never have got one! So I’d carry one of those!

Also I second roof rack mounts, I broke two on the same trip and had to ratchet strap the rack to the roof through the doors, fine until it rained and the water seeped through the straps and dropped onto the steering wheel!
ive dropped the rear prop on the side of the autobahn before, not pleasant..

Many thanks to all above for your suggestions! My previous vehicle was a well-travelled 1991 Nissan Y60 (GQ to us Aussies). Very capable vehicle in the rough stuff but the motor was under-powered (at least compared to the VDJ!).

The 54mm hub nut - luckily I have the one from the kit I had for the Nissan! :)

I'll investigate that special tool for the rear wheel bearings. Full floating rear axles are new to me so I need to learn how to pull those apart.

Zip ties - yes an essential in every kit!

Brake pads and stop leak - yes.

Ratchet straps - yes. We've used those to restrain a rear axle after snapping the lower control arm. Very handy.

Spare keys - yes hidden in a little magnetic box. Some people worry about those breaking free but mine survived 10 years of Cape York, Simpson Desert, Vic Alps, Anne Beadell Highway etc so I think I can trust it!

Are the universal joints the same on all four? I have a little play in one of the front uni joints so I need to replace that one already.

Thanks!

Chris

The one thing that no one has mentioned is a Scan Tool for pulling the error codes. In the case of my 4Runner it's a bit of wire, and my Land Cruiser it's a case of knowwing what's going on with it... the VD engine though runs through OBD-II if I remember correctly.

With the UJ's, just check there is grease in them before looking at replacing them; people forget to grease them sometimes.

I have a section of spare trailer electric cable in the back of the car, so that gives me the option to at least bodge some form of lighting if something happens to it (last camping trip the dog decided that the trailer plug cabling was a chew toy...)

Missed the fencing wire option as well - trailer socket is now held on with that (see above - the dog removed the cable ties)

Brake cleaner, contact cleaner and degreaser - all have slightly different purposes, but I tend to use brake or contact cleaner as a dry handwash after working on things if I'm out bush. Also Contact cleaner is good at displacing water from where it's not supposed to be.

With the list of previous places travelled, where are you heading to?

On the 75 troopy, the front uj's are smaller than the rear ones.
On http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ you can have a look at the parts catalog.
Btw, I have an electronic parts catalog on my gdrive which covers all (european?) toyota models up until 2011. If you pm your vin nr, I could check if yours is listed. If it works, you have access to all the part nrs and drawings.
Possibly mine only covers european models.

Hi Paddler Ed - good ideas there. I have an ebay scan tool which seems to connect ok with the VDJ79. I agree they are a useful thing to have along with the number of cars out there with modern electronics. I did love the simplicity of the agricultural electrics on the '91 Patrol. Spare electrical cable is always a good idea, and with the trailer wire you can strip it apart to get the colour you need. I also carry a collection of terminals and a good crimping tool. You made me laugh with the fencing wire - I collected a short length of that just a few days ago on a local property. And good call too on the brake cleaner and contact cleaner. I have those on the shelf in the shed, and will find room for them before we head off.

Where are we heading to? More of the same actually. Home is in Canberra so we are spoiled for choice. We take delivery of the camper in July, near Brisbane, so the first trip will be touring along the east coast on the way home after a visit to family in Hervey Bay. I'm planning for a longer touring trip in late winter which should probably include the Murray-Sunset NP, Gawler Ranges and Googs Track, Coober Pedy, Oodnadatta, Dalhousie, Mount Dare, Old Andado and up to Alice Springs. I've never been to Uluru, so we might get there this trip. Then east across the Plenty Highway, eventually to Birdsville and Cameron Corner then home though western NSW. Plenty to see along that rough route that I've missed on previous trips. We are retired now so we can take a bit more time, and I don't need the more challenging 4wd tracks - been there and done that. Once we are bedded in with the new vehicle and camper we'll do another Simpson Desert trip (I love it out there - the landscape and the remoteness) and think about heading further west. So many tracks ...

Firewout - thanks; I'll PM you (if I can get that to work) with my numbers.

Canberra to Brisbane is an easy run up round Dunedoo, then over to Tamworth and up the New England Highway... we do a variation of that to get to Melbourne, normally Tamworth - Dubbo/Dunedoo - Gundagai and then the Hume down to Melbourne.

Mind you, we avoid the coast like the plague...

We went that way last winter, driving a 350z. Fun drive.

Back