Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

eu in or out poll

Chas, you shouldn't really thumbs me down just because I have an opinion old boy. not very sporting what ...

It's not just you, I gave all the ins the same. Nothing sporting about politics anyway.

Last edited:
OUT!

The old boys who gave their lives during two World Wars did so to keep Great Britain British.

Ive accidentally pressed some of the thumb thingies. Sorry. Carry on...

In.
Then we know where we've got you....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In

But need to fight fight fight for more say in the things we do in our own country

In

But need to fight fight fight for more say in the things we do in our own country

Aint not happened yet, and very unlikely to happen.

And don't forget to close the tunnel gates on leaving,
stop them feckers just walking over.

OUT, OUT, OUT

Have a watch of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETTO6h4TxY8

{admin edit}

All valid points. All points, both good and bad, can be argued until the cows come home.
The news channels will also tilt it any way their masters' tell them to.

I see it this way though;

4 of you in a car, driving along to a destination. 3 of you want to do a detour to pick up a 5th person. You decides you don't want to go because you no longer trust the driver (He said we're going straight there). You think the car will be overcrowded and you're pretty grim about the news that the 5th person won't be contributing as much to petrol money. You decide to walk to the destination alone. Do you make it? Probably. It's just walking after all. You could hitch-hike but the driver of the car called his mates travelling the road and told them to, in not so many words, not give you a lift. You hoped that they would change their mind and offer you a lift in the front seat so you're not crowded with the 3 in the back. After all, you are the finance capitol of the car's passengers. Between them though they create a new capitol. Now you're a nobody. You didn't play the game very well.

Do I think we're getting a good deal from being in the EU? No, not at all. Do I think we could do better by ourselves? No. Not when the well-formed club you just left is on your doorstep. They will do their utmost to help their own. As they should. We would be begging them to take our trade.

It' a tough choice. It's not like voting Tory or Labour and realising you did wrong but all you have to do is weather the next 5 years.

Interesting topic nonetheless :)

Fear of the unknown is the only argument for staying in . If they punish Britain for leaving they will be attacking the very foundations on which the union was built and the whole thing will come crashing down .

Crispin why would we be begging the EU to take our trade when there's the rest of the world who might want it?

Shouldn't be doing this, 'cos it's a yes/no thread, no opinions, but every politician is a liar and even with good intentions, every campaigner is a liar too. There's nobody to trust on this one. Go it alone? I don't think Britain has been capable of going it alone since the 1930's. We're good on principles, beating the national drum, but especially these days, we've got little to offer the world. Manufacturing is at close to zero, and Labour on the world market is almost the most expensive. Again JMO based on a fraction of the knowledge needed to give the most appropriate answer to yes/no.

To me there are a number of things to consider:
-exports: How much of our trade is directly to the EU?
-imports: How much do we bring in from the EU?
From those, the trade balance can be looked at and examined as to how that will impact the UK... things like fresh fruit and veg coming in from Europe will be affected, which may or may not be a bad thing, but it's all these little impacts that will sting day to day.
The biggy for me is the ownership and investment question: Linked to the above, is the ownership of the companies doing the importing and exporting; how likely are Nissan/Toyota/BMW/Ford sticking around if we leave the EU and the EU impose tariffs in favour of members?

At the moment the financial markets are not favouring the possible exit; the pound has dropped in value against quite a few currencies, even those that shouldn't have gone up... to me that's always an indicator of if something is a good idea or not - it did the same in the run up to the Scottish referendum, and recovered very nicely afterwards (and quite quickly).

Which camp do I fall in?

Probably stay... but I've not seen a convincing campaign either way; for it to work as an exit we need to revisit the Commonwealth in all honesty and see how those ties can be strengthened and built upon, giving the UK a trading network across the world, and some really big growth economies such as India.

Chas, we would not be begging - we would be needing to sell to a market who can afford to buy what trade we have to sell. Having one of the strongest currencies and the highest cost of living, surely this excludes Uganda wanting our manufacturing facilities? I can't see us outsourcing our IT skills to them either.

I really do come at this as a layman and don't for a second vehemently believe my reasons are the correct ones. But they are the ones which make sense to me.

As for fear of the unknown - there is fear and caution of the unknown and then there is recklessness. Easily blurred. Remember that the "leaders" campaigning to leave will still be living very comfortably when we leave and it all goes tits-up. So I need to do what I think will keep me and my family comfortable.

What I do find quite irritating is the "Stay" campaign is nothing other than sowing doubt about leaving. They're not actually coming up with much positive about staying in.
The "leave"s are also not doing much other than spewing numbers.

hitler tried to form an European Union by force,it didn't work then but it seems to me that Germany hold the best hand now

Back