Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

eu in or out poll

The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.

EDF are funding 75% with the other 25% from China. The LABOUR Government did swing the deal by guaranteeing the rate per Kwh at 3 times market rates, the question now is can the economy afford this.

Also need to take into account that EDF haven't actually found the 18billion they need to build it and its already behind programme. The sister project at Flammaville in France is 9billion over budget, over programme and has safety issues with the reactor design

Last edited:
We have exactly the same problem Pat , its not EU restrictions that cause the problems its EU money . It buys the man in charge and anyone else who might oppose , it buys only convenient statistics , it buys only convenient science , it buys only the convenient truth .

Saddens me that if i was asked to vote for the next PM politics and policy would have nothing to do with my choice , instead i would look for , have looked for , who is least likely to be bought .

This is where I have heard Donald Trump is so popular.
With so much wealth, could he be bought?

I think not.

Gra.

And of course, the real deal-breaker .... Democracy, transparency and independence. We can vote out our MPs - BUT the European Commission who dictate 55% of UK laws, which are legally binding, are ..... guess what, untouchable, unelected and hidden from view.

Hidden from view?
http://ec.europa.eu/commission/2014-2019_en

They're not untouchable either - they can be removed from power by the parliament, and whilst they ARE unelected, they're appointed by our elected governments (as are the members of the Council). Honestly I'm not completely happy with the setup of the EU so I don't want to defend it too much but is this really worse than, say, Gordon Brown appointing (unelected) members of the House of Lords to his cabinet? The commission is supposed to be a lot like a cabinet, proposing legislation which then has to pass through parliament.

@lc 120 "I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy"

They didn't pay to destroy the fishing industry mate they forced them under then offered 100k compensation to be paid only if the boat was scrapped . 100k buys only a 40 year old scrapper . Some of the boats scrapped were worth 15 times that even without considering the value of the vessel usually gives a general indication of its annual gross turnover , and on a good day two thirds of that is pumped back into the industry supporting thousands of jobs ashore .

It was a proud industry once , about 1 in every 10 men would make the grade and the best of those were headhunted . Not any more nobody wants to do it , what for when the hopes and dreams of hitting that illusive big catch are forbidden by law .

Reactions: Pat
Like Science, the Construction industry is also suffering, now officially in contraction rather than growth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36701273

This is affecting friends and colleagues incomes and job security with many people I know going through redundancy at the moment. A direct result of the the vote outcome.

If construction shrinks the whole of the UK economy is effected :(
Scary considering I am about to change jobs and go work for a construction company... could be the worst possible move and timing by me yet

Who is the role with Tony of you don't mind me asking? If its a secured project with a good time left to run it may not be all bad news.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's with Kier working in their head office in a IT role, so not directly related to projects, but certainly could be effected buy the general drop in the construction industry. Share price down 22% since Brexit. As opposed to current pharma company that is 15% up....

Ho hum

I'm currently with Kier, Kier are going through redundancies for the Infrastructure side of the business but I've not heard anything relating to the other parts of the business

But if you land before I'm made redundant maybe you can sort out my Laptop :D

Ha small world, should be starting around start of September. Where you based?

Laptops are not in my remit, if you need tea making give me a shout.... :laughing-rolling:

Somerset (Hinkley Point C) & Cornwall (A30 Improvements) is my split across projects. Currently under redundancy consultation though so could be anywhere or nowhere next month :(

Ah, boo. Good luck hopefully you should get through that.

Just had this sent to me, interesting read...

A short list of financial and industrial FUBARs from the EU...
Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.
Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.
Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers’ pension funds.
Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.
British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.
Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.
Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.
M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.
Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with EU grants.
Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.
Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.
Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant.
Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.
Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.
ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs.
Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.
JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.
UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.
Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.
Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.
The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.
Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.
39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU.
The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK.
The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.
Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK.
We used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc., and now we don't even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.
I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there.
I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.
Find something that's gone the other way, I've looked and I just can't.
Still want to stay? Well it must be some consolation that you have Cameron to negotiate in Europe on your behalf.
And of course, the real deal-breaker .... Democracy, transparency and independence. We can vote out our MPs - BUT the European Commission who dictate 55% of UK laws, which are legally binding, are ..... guess what, untouchable, unelected and hidden from view.

Hurrah LC.

I only wish that the electorate were given this kind of information prior to the referendum.
I'm not just playing the devils advocate here but Europe pays into areas that are otherwise ignored by westminster.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/erdf-programmes-progress-and-achievements
These are areas neglected for decades by central government, I only looked at the ones from where I used to live and i hadn't realised half of these were assited by the EU.
A lot of the companies you listed are relocating because of globalisation not specifically the EU.
Yes it's sad to see institutions with long connections to the UK leave and go elsewhere, But I don't see many people crying that their shirt is sewn in Bangladesh or their I-phone assembled in China.
It seems we just want the shitty work to go elsewhere and we want to keep the high value or high status industries to stay. This is a process that belong a long time ago, Energy Du France do run our power companies and before their collapse some were ran by Enron.
It's a global market, the shareholders demand profit and that means production costs need to be minimised. Its not the EU its capitalism.
The ability to manufature munitions and armaments and the raw materials should always be retained.
Likewise the ability to feed your population and to generate electricity.
Just like the board game you never sell the utilities or the train stations, the power company is worth more than Park Lane and Mayfair.

@lc 120 "I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy"

They didn't pay to destroy the fishing industry mate they forced them under then offered 100k compensation to be paid only if the boat was scrapped . 100k buys only a 40 year old scrapper . Some of the boats scrapped were worth 15 times that even without considering the value of the vessel usually gives a general indication of its annual gross turnover , and on a good day two thirds of that is pumped back into the industry supporting thousands of jobs ashore .

It was a proud industry once , about 1 in every 10 men would make the grade and the best of those were headhunted . Not any more nobody wants to do it , what for when the hopes and dreams of hitting that illusive big catch are forbidden by law .

We weren't at the original fisheries meetings because we joined late ?

I loathe to use Wiki but :
The first rules were created in 1970. The original six Common Market members realized that four countries applying to join the Common Market at that time (Britain, Ireland, Denmark and Norway) would control the richest fishing grounds in the world. The original six therefore drew up Council Regulation 2141/70 giving all Members equal access to all fishing waters, even though the Treaty of Rome gave no authority to do this. This was adopted on the morning of 30 June 1970, a few hours before the applications to join were officially received. This ensured that the regulations became part of the acquis communautaire before the new members joined, obliging them to accept the regulation

I said in an earlier post that you can't win a boxing match if you don't duck through the ropes and get in the ring.
Leaving the EU will be catastrophic for the UK.
Our traditional rivals will reap the benefits of free movement ,countless grants, a steady supply of cheap labour from other member states and we will be left out in the cold.

Good luck with the consultation Mark, been through one myself and it's not the best thing in the world.....

Been through before so nothing new and certainly not so stressful as the first time. The first redundancy was actually what resulted in my Landcruiser purchase and 5 trips to Morocco in it now with number 6 coming up in October.

Not really made it wide knowledge on the forum, but the BREXIT votes is effecting me personally and in a very negative way. Whilst I'm confident something will turn up the uncertainty and possibility of an economic downturn are a worry. I certainly would be a little more positive about my situation if we had voted to stay in as a country.

Just on the point about science, when Brexit happens science in the UK will likely be seriously impacted (which one reason, of many, that most scientists were firmly in the remain camp). The EU led to an influx of top scientists to the UK because of its many excellent universities, and with these top scientists came funding. It's certainly not true that the EU only bought convenient science - it bought top quality science, which the UK government wasn't prepared to pay for.

(I'm a physicist working at CERN)
isn't CERN in Switzerland, a country not in the EU?

Well if EDF are running out of money I'm building a candle factory. Now we are out will they have to be fitted with particulate filters ?

No we're leaving the EU Frank, no DPF's required on candles anymore

isn't CERN in Switzerland, a country not in the EU?

It might be based in Switzerland but is not Swiss.......a 5 second google reveals

The CERN convention was signed in 1953 by the 12 founding states Belgium, Denmark, France, the Federal Republic of Germany, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Yugoslavia, and entered into force on 29 September 1954. The organization was subsequently joined by Austria (1959), Spain (1961-1969, re-joined 1983), Portugal (1985), Finland (1991), Poland (1991), Czechoslovak Republic (1992), Hungary (1992), Bulgaria (1999) and Israel (2014). The Czech Republic and Slovak Republic re-joined CERN after their mutual independence in 1993. Yugoslavia left CERN in 1961. Today CERN has 21 member states, and Romania is a Candidate for accession to membership, which is expected to enter into force in the near future. Serbia and Cyprus are Associate members in the pre-stage to membership, and Turkey and Pakistan are Associate members.

Back