Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Eventually started with some jobs

Started taking my front axle off today.... Not a bad job really... Keep up the good work. Looking Good!... I do like the colour of your Truck..... Crack on!:thumbup:

So who knew that the axle case I got for replacing mine was different, well I should have picked up on it before stripping it out. Mine has the front diff lock where as the replacement I have doesn’t! I could cut out the step to allow it to fit and there will be 1 hole to drill and tap but I decided to grind out and the weld the broken radius arm mounting and then clean up and paint the casing and some other parts
Rebuild starts tomorrow, new wheel bearings, new swivel bearings, new half shaft seals, new hub seals, brake pads and all the axle / arb bushes. It should hopefully drive ok after that, the swivel bearings were really bad, one lower bearing fell to pieces when I removed the lower arm and the other lower was almost seized!
383E3398-15B7-4390-9AC4-B7C3344706E8.jpeg
801E6661-92FF-47A6-916E-0787B4808A17.jpeg D25D5F3F-2F3F-4307-9542-AD75F4E9D7B3.jpeg

@Higgy, yes not a bad job and easier on the ramp than on my knees at the side of the house. Was nice to be in the shade today as the last 2 days with the big light on outside my solar panel has burned a little

Definitely easier on the Knees! Rough Trax do a complete axle rebuild kit or just a seal and Gasket kit... But Not in stock at the Moment.... Milners do one , A tenner cheaper...... Unless your a genuine Parts Man!...... Iv been lucky so far that all bearings iv 'teken' off, Have been like new

Last edited:
Almost back together tonight but was rushing home from the workshop and forgot to take more pictures, I was given a box a bunch of 80 new spares from a local guy who has stopped using his, in there were 2 sets of genuine hub seals, wheel bearing seals and halfshaft seals and outer drive flanges, along with a couple of sets from millers and a new hks cv joint. I’ve not fitted the cv as it seems from reading here they are made from chocolate!
I’ve adjusted the front diff backlash before refitting, fitted all new bearings, new bushes in the panhard rod and I’m afraid the only paint I had with me for the springs was silver, wonder if it will last longer than iron mans yellow!
8F1773D7-4558-4957-A45A-28AE804DAEBD.jpeg
F6B200A6-8C07-4F09-8E30-92F33190FF5C.jpeg

Cheese spread would probably last longer than aussie suspension coatings..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is a very good work .I am actually about to start on my project of the landcruiser just a question

where did you get the wheel knuckle seal from ?

This is a very good work .I am actually about to start on my project of the landcruiser just a question

where did you get the wheel knuckle seal from ?
I got these from a local guy, free genuine Toyota parts!

There are plenty suppliers, some of the forum guys do parts, @chapel gate @karl webster then rough Trax and milners for aftermarket, there’s is plenty information on here and some good YouTube movies for doing the job

Cheers

image.jpg
Not much updated here for the last couple of weeks but it’s MOT time tomorrow morning, the only things left are the Christmas lights on the dash, the new alternator voltage regulator hasn’t arrived yet, gearbox and transfer box oil change and rear axle oil change

So all in it’s had new discs, pads and handbrake shoes and fitting kits on rear handbrake dog bones modified, new discs and pads on front. New metal brake pipes. Brake fluid change
Front axle rebuild, new wheel bearings, hub swivel bearings, hub seals, halfshaft seals, panhard rod bushes, radius arm bushes, anti-roll bar bushes front and rear
New Big end beatings, water pump, timing belt kit, valve clearances adjusted, coolant change, oil, fuel and air filters, 2 new batteries
Mega deep clean, 2 stage paint compound and polish, new front winch bumper and the headlights removed and washed, that made a huge difference to the reflectors! Rear body spare wheel carrier and all speakers replaced
There was 2 small repairs to make at the back body mounts, all the rust was wire brushed and treated then the underside has been sprayed with Schultz stone chip.

Hopefully that will keep it running without too much trouble for the next couple of years

Clean sheet:banana-blonde: Tax tomorrow then I can start getting some miles on it.

I think this was the first Landcruiser the MOT guy had done, he was amazed by the size of it!

Met the postie who had my alternator regulator so that’s this mornings job, hopefully this will put the lights out on the dash

Happy Days!

How easy to get the axle off for derusting/painting
You don't actually ned to remove it, you just drop off the front steering arm for access to the front and undo all the 12mm socket head bolts that hold on all the brake pipes and sensor wires to you can get in around them. If you do side at a time will be a bit safer particularly if you want to drop out the springs and shocks. Removing the anti-roll bar helps for access and its easier to clean it down away fromthe truck. The front arms don't necessarily need to come out either as you can spray in around them pretty well. Get yourself a cheap suction gun and drill the nozzle out to 2.5mm and off you go. Spray whatever you want on. Initially I sprayed everything but went back and cleaned down the brake pipes before 2k clear coating them to protect them and keep the mot man happy

there was never any doubt..:)

looking forward to some feed back on your thoughts on the 80 after getting some miles on her.

Well the first experience hasn’t been so good! Fitted the new alternator regulator and charging went from 13.9v to 12.1v, did a lot of messing about with that, old regulator back in, the same, got another alternator (seized) from a friend, swapped the regulator, brush pack and rectifier and it’s 11.9v now. Checked fuses , wiring etc

We decided to just take the truck out anyway to take the kids out cycling and it drives really bad, feels like I have 4 wheel steering, so swapped the big wheels out for standard 80 with BFG Land Ranger tyres, WOW, a different truck altogether

I’ve developed a big enough leak from the steering box and also the rear diff tail shaft seal that I’m making a mess on the driveway....so there is more work to do

One CV joint is knocking so back into the front axle again...

Off back to work tomorrow morning so that will be it for another month, I guess I’ll have a pile of parts when I return...

3D149A0C-E219-4FAC-BDF8-B7B7237B1D27.jpeg
Well did a little to the old truck today, another set of wheels, new tyres, new CV’s, rear diff oil seal, new oil in the axles again. It’s starting to feel almost a smooth ride now! Will get the tracking done next week, but need to strip the steering box to change the rear seal first, it might even be leak free and allowed in the drive on the new tarmac soon

Well did a little to the old truck today, another set of wheels, new tyres, new CV’s, rear diff oil seal, new oil in the axles again. It’s starting to feel almost a smooth ride now! Will get the tracking done next week, but need to strip the steering box to change the rear seal first, it might even be leak free and allowed in the drive on the new tarmac soon

EE3DD52E-69A6-4517-B817-91E13D8180A2.jpeg

Back