Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

External hdd

Paul_Humphreys

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Right, I am getting a new laptop soon Next week as they are out of stock!!). So I need to back everything up again. So I am looking for an external hdd caddy. But I want one with 1000 rj45 connector and usb3. Also if possible wireless and Sata. I did find one (lost the link dohh). It was only usb2 and 100 rj45. So not quite what I want. I can get just usb3 or wireless/rj45.

So does anyone know of any?

Paul

Not sure why you need all those connection types - though I'm sure you'll have your reasons. To get most, if not all, I think you'll be looking at a NAS or similar.

To use as a simple external HDD with just USB3, a SATA docking station would probably fit the bill and get 5Gbps or so...... quite a few on ebuyer.com or dabs.com from £10+

I don't need them all, but would like them. But I do need usb3 and an rj45 connector on it. All I seem to find it usb2 and the network connector.

Paul

If you need RJ-45 (LAN), that's a NAS box. You can then share between all the devices on your LAN. The best NAS boxes are undoubtedly the QNAP products. They also come with USB and esata for expansion or back-up. High end / newer versions w usb3 and 10 Gb ethernet.

Another issue is that the HDD prices are very high right now. Went up by 130 % in two months because of the floods in Thailand. Seems that all HDD are made there ??? I guess they will come down again when infrastucture is back to normal.

I have been looking at the NAS boxes. Looks like the way to go. Been looking at a 4TB one, running 2x2tb drives.

Paul

Back