Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fabricating rear floor behind drivers seat....

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Has anyone designed or built a flat floor behind the drivers/passengers seats that I can see pics of. I've done a search but can find nothing.
It looks like a fairly simple build as THIS shows.

Ignoring the top floor section, I just want to build a bottom floor to house fridge, having removed the rear seats.

Anyone have any ideas/guidance they can share..... with pics???

Thanks guys

That's exactly what I've done, just got a peice of 6mm chequer plate bolted to the holes where the seat fitted with the Engel fridge mounting plate bolted to that, excuse the poor pics, it's dark and the fridge is still in place so a bit of a restricted view;

IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0040.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg

Here's what i did but it was to line up with the drawers.

GetAttachment.jpg

GetAttachment3.jpg

Chas,

That looks like an easy fix. How have you supported the rear of the floor?

Does it sit on a frame or just bolted to the floor at the front?

Olazz said:
Chas,That looks like an easy fix. How have you supported the rear of the floor?Does it sit on a frame or just bolted to the floor at the front?
The main plate just bolts direct to the floor, I fixed a strip of the chequer plate at the front at right angles to the main plate which just rests on the floor, it can be seen in the first pic, just behind the Freelander :oops: jack box I keep a few tools in, it created a handy space where the box and my bottle jack live safe from being thrown about in the case of any mishaps, I deliberately cut it slightly too wide so that the plate when bolted down keeps it in firm contact with the floor and gives support to the main plate which otherwise could flex up and down, I also extended it around the side so that the box and jack wouldn't slide right through, you can just see that in the last pic behind the jack box. It is very firm as I found out when a scrutineer tried to see if he could wrench the fridge out :roll: prior to me going round a pay & play site.
I used Riv Nuts to secure the fridge mount to the chequer plate because it would not be possible to use nuts and bolts as the underside of the plate is not accessible when bolted down and the seat bolt holes were not accessible when the fridge mount was in place, maybe overkill, but I used 10 6mm Riv Nuts :shock: to make sure it stayed attached.

interesting ideas
have been thinking of taking back seats out temporarily for summer trip to Pyrennes, to fit the mountain bikes in there (as there will be no room in boot, towbar mount carrier hassle as cannot get in boot, and roofrack bike carriers too high for low branches etc and not good on bumpy tracks)

so I was thinking of putting some paneling in temporarily.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi

All I did was remove the rear seat and use the fixing points to bolt down the unit. I made it with a draw under that is quite well hidden and very handy. The draw extends fully out and is 400mm long 56mm deep and 300mm wide.
I also installed 2 12v plug sockets so the fridge can plugged in. The fridge retaining brackets just screw down to the ply and removed when not in use.
I made one for each side so I can have either seat in or out.

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

Mal

SilverLady said:
Hi

All I did was remove the rear seat and use the fixing points to bolt down the unit. I made it with a draw under that is quite well hidden and very handy. The draw extends fully out and is 400mm long 56mm deep and 300mm wide.
I also installed 2 12v plug sockets so the fridge can plugged in. The fridge retaining brackets just screw down to the ply and removed when not in use.
I made one for each side so I can have either seat in or out.
Mal

Aha!!!
Now that's the very thing I was looking for Mal. How big is yout fridge? I have a Nat Luna 52 which fitted sideways in struggles with only obe seat removed. The drawer Idea is Also very clever indeed.

Do you have any measurements I could use Mal?

{Admin - pics removed from quote}

Hi
I just made it up as I went along.

But if your passing Shropshire the please drop in and have a look.

I have a Engel 45 External Dimensions : W631 x D360 x H508mm. plus the extra insurlation cover. That is mounted lengthways.

The retaining system from Engel is crap so I am going to mount it using 2 rigging screws off the handles and down to the ply.
140.jpg

I will use a small block either side of the fridge to stop any slide.

Mal

SilverLady said:
The retaining system from Engel is crap so I am going to mount it using 2 rigging screws off the handles and down to the ply.Mal
Hi Mal,
In what way do you think the Engel retaining system is crap, do you mean the tray that the fridge slides into and 'clips' onto the four feet? I do admit though it can be a problem sometimes to get the feet to line up with the slots, that's the one I've got and so far it has withstood all my bouncing about.

Hi

Mine is just a flip up support back and front and a strap that run all round horizontal.
I fitted a strap the other way but need to undo it every time I need a beer.
Not good at all. Spent more tine getting in and out of the fridge than drinking.

So its a mark 3 that is being constructed now.

Watch this space.

Mal

Fabricating rear floor behind drivers seat.... DONE!!

Thanks guys for all the ideas.
Floor made and installed today. Frame made of square tube, that bolts into the 4 existing under-seat bolts for the rear seats. A forward "A" leg that supports the front and creates a storage area for stuff. The frame has lugs that slip into the seat retainer bars at the rear.

Marine Ply then bolted to the frame, yet to covered in grey type carpet.... Does anyone know where I can buy that stuff?
The whole thing can be unbolted and removed in about 15 mins and the seats replaced.

Here are some pics
IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

Great job Olaz, :cool: I might just have a go at redesigning mine now.

Re: Fabricating rear floor behind drivers seat.... DONE!!

Olazz said:
Thanks guys for all the ideas.
Floor made and installed today. Frame made of square tube, that bolts into the 4 existing under-seat bolts for the rear seats. A forward "A" leg that supports the front and creates a storage area for stuff. The frame has lugs that slip into the seat retainer bars at the rear.

Marine Ply then bolted to the frame, yet to covered in grey type carpet.... Does anyone know where I can buy that stuff?

B&Q sell it, very cheap, aboyt £3.50 a aq meter
It is on 4 meter width

G.

Re: Fabricating rear floor behind drivers seat.... DONE!!

Graham said:
B&Q sell it, very cheap, aboyt £3.50 a aq meter
It is on 4 meter width

G.

Top man Graham thanks.

Back