Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fan belt change - Milner strikes again?

I replaced the belts around 1000 miles ago. A local accessory shop obtained them for me, they were Q&H branded. They were a bugger to fit (very tight getting them on the pulleys) and when on, as has been mentioned, one was tighter than the other. Ran them for around 50 miles or so which slackened them right off due to the bedding in process but when re-tensioned they were both the same, and still so!

Seeing as how Milners was mentioned in the OP, has anyone tried one of their handbrake cables for the later rear disc braked 80's? It is listed as a pattern part and pretty cheap at £24.

Hi Towpack

You might be able to adjust and use your existing cable. There is an adjusting nut under the lever gaiter. Just thought it was worth a mention.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Yes, I know about the adjuster behind the gaiter, the problem is the cable is sticking. The mechanism/levers on the rear axle are free and the inner cable seems to be sticking/binding in the outer cable, probably due to corrosion from water ingress so I thought, given the price, I'd just replace the whole thing rather than remove it, find it's shot and have to source a new one anyway.

Just another thought on this. The belts drive the fan as well as the alternator. So when I was towing on the Mway not only were the belts driving a fully loaded alternator as I had all the electrics on but they were also turning a locked up fan as the engine was under a fair load.

Frank

Back