Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ferry service to Norway

wobbly

Garage
Have found a ferry service from Immingham to Oslo fjord - its on a commercial ro-ro, will get some prices for general info.

Puts Nordkapp back on the agenda for me - knocked a huge distance off the 'pointless' element of travel just to get to Norway.

Pete

Really? Look forward to the details.

I be interested in that, I hope to be going to Russia in August.

Here we go:

http://freight.dfdsseaways.com/ferry_te ... ls/brevik/

I like the bit in the description where they say there are no disco's / bars / restaurants !

Its a long journey though, from 25 hours to about 36hrs.

I used to sail there as a kid (in the old Braemar, worst ship ever!!) and it was an overnighter.

Will try and get a price if I get chance tomorrow (busy as hell at the mo!).

Pete

one thing to check on - i have heard when using these freight ferrys - you can get bunked-off at last minute if there is freight needing space...?

If the goal is only to reach the North Cape, then the shortest, fastest and cheapest route is through Sweden and a bit of Finland. So, a port in Sweden is just as good, if that is available.
You would miss all the scenic routes that way tho'. (Driving north through Sweden is very boring. Miles and miles through dense forest)

If you want to see the North in general, then Tromsø is a good base/stop/town, with an active LC community and a high "party factor" under the midnight sun.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi uHu

The idea is a run up the east coast, using a combination of roads, island hopping, and the commercial ferries that run up the islands.

My prime interest is Norway - Nordkapp gives us a destination to aim for.

I grew up in Oslo in the 1970's, and have spent every year since wanting to go back, my dad wants to join me and my lad, and we have friends around Oslo to visit (on the Islands mainly).

What I'm trying to avoid is a long journey before we get to Norway (you know what I mean!), I was a bit surprised to find the passenger ferries had ceased !

The cost each way is 5000kr - so about £525. Will have to do the maths - I have some reports from magazines on the distance from France, but not the Denmark/Sweden route, although I found the cost of the ferries a bit scary!

Thanks for your interest.

Pete

wobbly said:
Have found a ferry service from Immingham to Oslo fjord - its on a commercial ro-ro, will get some prices for general info. Puts Nordkapp back on the agenda for me - knocked a huge distance off the 'pointless' element of travel just to get to Norway.Pete
I've phoned that ferry company and although they do take cars they are limited by law to have enough cabin space for 12 drivers only of freight lorries, so private drivers aren't really accomodated. :thumbdown:

How about ferries,

Felixstowe to Esbjerg then Hirtshals to Kristiansand.

could it still be an option if combined with a low cost flight?

Cossack said:
wobbly said:
Have found a ferry service from Immingham to Oslo fjord - its on a commercial ro-ro, will get some prices for general info. Puts Nordkapp back on the agenda for me - knocked a huge distance off the 'pointless' element of travel just to get to Norway.Pete
I've phoned that ferry company and although they do take cars they are limited by law to have enough cabin space for 12 drivers only of freight lorries, so private drivers aren't really accomodated. :thumbdown:

Chas do you mean "not at all" or is there some way of sneaking onto the boat e.g. if they are not full with lorries you may get on.

SimonD said:
Cossack said:
wobbly said:

Chas do you mean "not at all" or is there some way of sneaking onto the boat e.g. if they are not full with lorries you may get on.
They said there would be no problem taking the cars, :thumbup: but they have by law to provide accommodation for the drivers and they only have that for 12 people, :thumbdown: and they won't let you go as 'deck' passengers. That was what I was told. :cry:

Back