Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

First impressions Cooper AT3 Sport

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Given the recent snow, I had occasion to re-evaluate my tyres. OK they're on my Lux not the Cruiser but a tyre's a tyre, heh?
I had some Bridgestone Duellers on which were pretty near the wear indicators and whilst I did get drive I had zero braking in the snow. So after much research, reading of reviews and simple availability, I went to see Chas at JCS off the A52 in Nottingham. I'd have loved to have fitted BFG AT but finances simply didn't allow that. Instead after consultation, I had 5 x 265.65.17 (a 120 series size by the way) Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sports.

265.70.17 would have been an option, and oddly cheaper, but wisdom from HPOC said that they generally catch on full lock so I abandoned that strategy.

A nice looking ring, but not that similar to the traditional AT pattern. Not driven in snow yet, but first impressions are very good indeed. Noise at motorway speeds is perhaps very slightly more but sill quiet enough to be able to hear the heater fan running in the cab. As for the ride, it's markedly better. It just seems so much softer and relaxed but with sharper steering and handling. Grip seems really improved and more confident. They're running at 30 psi to begin with and so far I can't see why I'd change that.

The factory tyre that came off had done 37k miles which isn't bad and they weren't illegal. But when I felt the strength of the sidewalls etc I figured that they'd been made from recycled tissue paper. Just rubbish.

So if you are looking for a road tyre with enough tread to get you out of the occasional bit of trouble such as a wet festival car park or that icy hill up to the off licence these may be the ones. I'll post a snow traction report in due course. I paid £550 for 5 fitted and balanced. £110 a tyre basically whcih I'm happy with. BFGs would have been at least £60 more per wheel.

I run these on both my trailers and been very happy with how they grip except once when over loaded on a side slop the trailer was deciding which way were going to exit. The tarmac came up at the exact right time.

Just be careful in this situation.

Stu, side slops are as we all know, very tricky indeed. In fact slops in general can be quite taxing.

I did a lot of tests on this tire, it is perfect for a light SUV (see tests on Dacia Duster Trails & Technical on FB). The tire is an upgrade on the US variant. It is great as an AT for a car that is light and depends on surface traction.

Its better than the BFG KO2 in many respects. It has great traction on all surfaces except rain on mud where it does slips left right, but most AT tires do that. If its just mud with no rain, then it is good enough and above KO2. It is excellent on asphalt, does not raise fuel consumption and breaks great in wet.

Just a little review.

What's the difference between the AT3 and AT3 Sport? They are listed as different tyres on the Cooper site and the have different prices.

Oddly very very little indeed. I figured the Sport would be a bit thin and lightweight but not a bit of it. Chas at JCS showed me the only visible difference which is a tiny extra 'pip' of rubber between some of the centre blocks.
I continue to be impressed by these tyres. No one like spending that much cash only to find out the tyres are awful. I've had tyres that wouldn't stop in the dry never mind the wet. But the acid test question is would I buy them again and they answer to that is yes. So far. I don't know what's down the line; whether they get noisier when they wear down or what mileage I'll get out of them. But reports from people who have had them for some time are good.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oddly very very little indeed. I figured the Sport would be a bit thin and lightweight but not a bit of it. Chas at JCS showed me the only visible difference which is a tiny extra 'pip' of rubber between some of the centre blocks.
I continue to be impressed by these tyres. No one like spending that much cash only to find out the tyres are awful. I've had tyres that wouldn't stop in the dry never mind the wet. But the acid test question is would I buy them again and they answer to that is yes. So far. I don't know what's down the line; whether they get noisier when they wear down or what mileage I'll get out of them. But reports from people who have had them for some time are good.

Well, I'm convinced. There's nothing that I've seen which would put me off these tyres.

I can get them for £114 each delivered (not fitted). Any one found them cheaper?

Best I found was something like £105 but then they wanted £20 on top for delivery. All depends on the size. I paid £110 each fitted. 265.65.17

Best I found was something like £105 but then they wanted £20 on top for delivery. All depends on the size. I paid £110 each fitted. 265.65.17
I only ever use Charles for tyres and have done for years, he is a top bloke

Back