Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitted 2nd hand steering box,but......

smiffysmc

Garage
...... the steering seems a bit heavier and the steering wheel is now not quite centred.

Would this be a tracking issue?
Are the steering arms set to a standard angle on all boxes? Same for steering rod splines into UJ ?

Cheers.

Umm I have only ever done this on a defender (although I will have to remove my own leaky unit soon). If you disconnect the splined steering arm off the steering box (or at the linkage if you prefer) you can jack the front up and set your steering all the way to one side and then turn the wheel until the steering box reaches the same position and then re-fit the arm .

Alternatively you can attempt to find the centre on both systems and re attach the splined steering arm.

If it is stiff then that sounds like either the pump is dosy or the nut on the steering box for adjusting the freeplay could be too tight. Could be air but less likely as mine has emptied itself a few times but always worked straight away with new oil.

The steering box attaches, via the pitman arm and the relay rod, to the near side hub. A relay rod connects the nearside hub to the offside hub. You adjust the length of the relay rod to change the tracking.

To adjust the position of the steering wheel, you put the wheels in a straight ahead position. You then disconnect the pitman arm from the relay rod and you then centre the steering box by turning the steering wheel from max. one way to max. the other and then turning it until it is in a central position. Now remove the pitman arm and refit so that it re-connects to the relay rod. Finally remove and re-centre the steering wheel if necessary.

As the pump is the original to your motor, it is unlikely to be the problem re: heavy steering. I suggest you measure the slack at the steering wheel in the straight ahead position---this is the position of max. wear---and again at full turn left and right. If it tightens as you turn, it may be because someone has tightened the adjuster nut to try and compensate for wear.

Roger

Cheers folks.

Just been out a motorway run and there's play at the wheel!!!! I've just noticed when stopped with ignition off the steering wheel still has play in it !!!

That be the UJ or could it be something more sinister inside the box.? I still have the old box that was fine except the leak. Could I make 1 good box out the two or it a nightmare?

Or get the alignment done and all my worries will wash away :)

Cheers.

Back