Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

fitting 1KZ-TE Intercooler

Fridayman your truck is set up exactly as mine was (while searching for info before fitting the cooler i did see some minor variations) . Just whip the inlet pipe off and you will a far better idea of which way to go . There's 3 or 4 components actually bolted to the pipe which will need to be reseated somewhere after the cooler is installed . To be honest all my electrical connection are just tied to a pipe on the bulkhead in a temporary fashion and had been forgot about until now :eusa-shhh: , makes no difference though they are all connected and haven't caused any problems that i know of . There is nothing fancy about the adapter manifold i had made its just a flange plate with a bit of tube welded to it , any custom exhaust place can make this with their eyes closed , and because it's steel (stainless in my case) you case weld a bit of metal to it for the throttle bracket to bolt to .

I think I'm just going to have the adapter made and keep it simple. I might even be able to source an adapter over here as there are top mount intercooler kits that come with the adaptor plate.

Beau - I am planning on removing the butterfly anyway, apparently it gives better throttle response. I'm not sure what it does exactly??

In fact, thinking about it, I could have the adaptor plate made 1" taller, so that I could raise the intercooler up to the bonnet after the 1" body lift - this will let the seal fit again, AND I might be able to fit a pull fan under the intercooler :)

I don't know what cooler you have but mine is only connected using silicon pipe , if i had the adapter made again i would make it taller because getting the silicone pipe tight enough to prevent leaks proved difficult . Bust god knows how many jubilee clips by over tightening them then got myself some of these
Hose_Clamps.jpg
And even then there was lots of trial and error trying to get them to sit comfortably so nothing leaked . Mind you i think the boost setting from factory is something like 7 to 12 psi and mines probably boosting close to double that though i don't have a gauge . Get the adapter made far too tall so you can cut it down to size when everything's ready to be put together is your best bet .

Factory boost is about 9psi. With our pumps and ecu's we can go up to around 15 before it goes into limp mode. To go higher you need a mechanical pump off the older kz engine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm guessing limp mode which has never happened to my truck results from fuel starvation or to much back pressure from exhaust , my fuel is right turned up and i have an oversized exhaust . I also found a K&N highflow air filter made a huge difference .

I think I'm just going to have the adapter made and keep it simple. I might even be able to source an adapter over here as there are top mount intercooler kits that come with the adaptor plate.

Beau - I am planning on removing the butterfly anyway, apparently it gives better throttle response. I'm not sure what it does exactly??

I don't know what they do either, but I can see why removing them would improve efficiency. However you will get a rough shut down when you turn the engine off as it's still being allowed a constant air flow. Not really a problem considering these trucks are coming up 20+ years old!

Oh also guys, I've just about collected everything for my Air to Water Intercooler setup! Going to get the intake flange made up this week and then hope for some sunshine next weekend! Will start a thread when I'm ready :dance:

Butterfly is staying on mine , i don't know what it does either but when i looked into removing the intake resonator i quickly decided it was a bad idea , as far as i can tell the resonator allows the turbo to take a huge gulp of air which could not be replaced fast enough through the air filter if the resonator weren't there . So it's an internal air storage space if you like . That's my understanding of it anyway . So while knowing it is possible the system can create a vacuum within itself i have to guess the butterfly , which causes little or no resistance to air traveling through the system in the right direction , is there to prevent air being sucked out after the butterfly so fuel air mix is unaffected . All supposition but that's my take on it anyway .

Shayne, those T-Bolt Clips above, where did you source them? Quite expensive on ebay...

Ebay it was I'm afraid Beau but they are good quality and you will need them .

Back