Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitting an ARB winch bumper

Lorin

Has anyone fitted an ARB winch bumper to their 80? If so, I have a couple of questions.... Is it a one or two piece unit? And, how long did the fitting take?

The reason I ask is that I am due to have one fitted next week. I was under the impression that it was a one-piece unit, fitting was relatively simple and takes around 2 hours. However, the garage doing the work are telling me it is a two-piece unit and is a days labour to fit :shock:. I just want to get my facts right before I challenge them any more.

a days labour to fit a winch bumper?! they must be taking the piss? Maybe it's just part of their insurance costs?

Btw is it just the winch bar itself or the winch bar and winch installation?

It is a winch bar and winch admittedly but the fitting time they quoted was for the bumper on its own. For both I guess it would be reasonable....?

Is it a commercial ARB bar? Like the one installed on mine.

I would say it took me a day to do the job on my own and that was just the bumper no winch.

By the time you remove the old plastic one and associated metal bits you then have to cut the frame clean up and paint the exposed metal. Fit the two "crush" mounts and then fit the bumper. Once that is done its takes time to get it level and square and then you can drill the holes to bolt it up so it does not move.

If its anything like mine and you are going to fit the driving and indicator bits as well that's takes some time.

I really enjoyed doing the job myself and would say give it a bash but if you have someone to help you that really does make trying to lift the bumper onto its mounts much easier.

If a jobs worth doing right its worth doing yourself is what i say.

EDIT: If you email the UK ARB agent they will send you the pdf fitment document and its very good and easy to follow.

If you get stuck just shout and I would be happy to help out.

Last edited:
Scott, yeh it is the commercial winch bar.

Warren, cheers for the info and offer of help. It is being fitted by the garage as part of an insurance claim. I was just a bit concerned they were squandering the limited insurance payout on labour when I would prefer it went on more upgrades!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Warren - I think yours is the Deluxe winch bumper, and yes they are a more involved job to install. I fitted one to a Hilux the other year and there were at least 9 different bits to be fitted.

Lorin - Your commercial winch bumper should be the same as mine then. I've been racking my brains and I can't remember there being two parts, the main bumper is all one lump, the only extra bits are the indicators and number plate bracket.

It took me about two hours start to finish, if you encounter snapped bolts or damaged captive threads in the chassis, then it'll take longer. I had one issue when fitting mine, it wouldn't slide over the chassis rails! It wasn't out by a lot, but it sure wasn't going on, I had to use a bottle jack and some wood to spread the bumper slightly to get it on. I then fitted the bolts, 6 per side (if I remember correctly, the 80 isn't here so I can't check), and then released the jack once it was in the correct position. So my bumper is clamped onto the chassis as well as bolted.

So 2hrs to fit the bumper, plus 30mins to fit and wire in the indicator repeater lights. I would expect a professional to fit it in that time.

Note: If you are fitting a winch, bear in mind that you may need spacers for the base of the winch and longer bolts. The winch tray angles in on both sides and will hit the winch motor and gearbox, before the winch feet meet the bumper.

We will need pics once its been installed!

I have one sitting here and it's only one piece
I can't imagine it taking long at all looking at it

Fitting a winch takes no time at all

A day? Never. Rear ARB could well take that long they're quite involved

I had the same problem, needing a jack to get the rails to line up with the bumper.

It can be a fiddle which probably varies from car to car.

My ARB bumper was very easy to fit. I put a bit of Vaseline on the rails and me and Caron pushed it into place no problem. :laughing-rolling:

I fitted mine myself and it took about an hour and a half, that included cleaning up the chassis once the original bumper was off, waxolying and splicing in the ARB indicators.

They are surely taking the piss. I had to sledge hammer mine on and it still only took a couple of hours from go to whoa.

Supprised your not doing it yourself Lorin. Quite a simple job.

They will have said it will take that long as they don't know what they will find I expect. For all they know each bolt may snap off and they then would have to extract them etc etc.

Have one on mine, only tricky bit was lifting it on and needed a second person but quite easy.

The winch.......that was a different issue but all good now.

I wish I was doing it myself but its all part of an insurance repair. All happening this Thursday so hopefully some pictures to come by the weekend.

One quick question..... On the 80 do you need to drill holes in the chassis or does the bumper use existing holes?

I am prettu sure it would use the captive nuts. dont think there is enough room to make any more holes there.
Stu

Back