Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Flashing dash lights

Paul_Driver

Country Flag
uk
My my dash lights have started flashing intermittently when I start the engine and occasionally the orange turbo light flashes rapidly too.

Whilst getting the MOT done I asked the mechanic about it and he suspected the alternator wiring loom.

Is he correct and is it a big job to fix myself?

Paul_Driver said:
My my dash lights have started flashing intermittently when I start the engine and occasionally the orange turbo light flashes rapidly too.

Whilst getting the MOT done I asked the mechanic about it and he suspected the alternator wiring loom.

Is he correct and is it a big job to fix myself?
Remove the plug off the back of the alternator and give it a good clean, spray with WD40 and then plug it back on.

All should be ok then :thumbup:

Well the regular dash lights have stopped flashing but the turbo warning light has not.

I've posted a video on youtube to illustrate, only to say that the turbo light flashes at idle and goes off when the engine is revved a little.

As always, any help really appreciated.

video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ssDhfC46XY

Had similar before paul. As your stood at the front of the truck. The left hand battery has a earth going to the wing that bolts on with a 10mm bolt. Take off and clean connection then put back on. Someone had gave me that info when i had similar issue with turbo light and solved it.

Worth a shot

karl

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul, if Karl's tip doesn't work... give the alternator plug another clean and maybe pinch the connectors so that they make a nice tight connection on the back of the alternator.

My 80 started with the Red turbo light flashing first and then all the dash lights. Cleaning the alternator plug was on my must do jobs list but.... no lights have flashed for the last few weeks :shh:

Back