Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fog lamp question for the m.o.t experts on here .

The switch has to light up to be legal Steve and it doesn't on either truck

Strange. Mine lights up (not very bright) as does the light on the dash. I think the light switch has a dinky little light in it that's hard to see. The dash indicator would be the main thing I would think

Dash indicator :? I don't have one of them on either truck neither :icon-cry:

View attachment 109914 Could find nothing at my tow socket that might relate to fogs so went to have a look at Helen's truck and her fog doesn't work either , the bulb and fuse are good so I pulled the switch which all looks good .

Only thing I can think of is the bulb that lights up the switch also acts as a fuse , does this sound likely ?
Unlikely a fuse Shayne. It MAY be a bit clever and only show when there's a bulb in the fog light though. Not sure on that TBH.

Right :think: throw both Toyota switches away and run a wire from the battery to the light with an aftermarket switch between sounds like my best bet .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oops forgot to
add a piccy
Green on right under rev counter is front fogs on and orange under temp gauge on LEFT is rear

IMG_20161126_183005.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Steve I definitely have neither lit but they might be there now I know where to look , maybe with dead bulbs too .

Baffled by this neither truck has the dash lights Steve shows , the switch does light up in both trucks though you have to pull the switch out of the dash to see it . And my 1998 truck doesn't even have a fog light fuse , the cover shows it as a blank and there is nothing in the slot to accept a fuse ?

I have hope for the 2001 truck because the bulb and wiring are all still there , I think whoever put the parking bleepers in has cut the wire somewhere but we can still drive her truck , mine has no mot because it has no foglight :angry-screaming:

I hate electrics so it's time to call an auto electrician , lots of money for something I have never used and likely never will :cry:

Being a 2001 it will have switch on the head light stalk for front fogs (if fitted). Mine was the last model 3.0 upgraded dash etc, before the d4d came out. If both your truck UK cars , then wiring should be there. It's a bit of an odd one for sure!

I forgot the 2001 truck has front fogs as well .
7 wires in both switches ,
multimeter on the 1998 truck with no fuse tells me I have 1 permanent live in the switch and another live when side lights are on , I can't tell where the wires go even with the dash apart , removing the new custom tail light revealed 2 unused and likely wires as this is where the 2001 fog bulb is located but neither have any power . I also found 2 cut wires behind the bumper both dead and relating to I know not what ?

The only call out auto electrician around here is busy so call after 4pm is all I can do .

With thanks to you Steve I can now forget about the 2001 truck , everything works now I know to turn on the side lights then turn on the front fogs on stalk then turn on the rear fog with button , with that done a wiggle on the suspect scotchlok relating to park sensors gave me the answer to that one :thumbup:

I think not Steve I had little doubt I could fix her truck because everything is there .

I have cancelled the call to an auto electrician until tomorrow anyway as it just occurred to me that while messing with angel eye headlights (another job yet to be finished) I have ended up with original headlights and aftermarket side lights ...... and two unconnected wires each side !

Dammit I should have called the sparky because those loose wires at the front I added myself to power the halo on angel eyes :doh:

Sorry to be an old grumpy, but what the feck are all those electronic components for?

It's a piggin switch for heaven's sake!

On off, live is only live when the lights are on.

Nothing that needs electronics more complicated than a relay, and this is 1990.

No wonder modern cars use so many microchips and processors, if they make such a simple switch so complex.

Rant over, sorry Shayne.

You know I'm nodding my head in agreement Clive but I don't think it's a complicated set up , I can only guess the 7 wires go to dash display , front dip light , stork dip switch , and rear fog . Trouble is finding out which is what and what goes where would be for me a case of stripping the car down to its bare shell .

It was a long way round trying to say I don't envy you the job, really Shayne.

I hate electrics, unless it's something simple.

Use that meter Shayne. You are getting there. Front fogs won't work on anything but dipped beam (generally) and rear fogs have to have lights on to function, maybe also dipped beam. Draw yourself out a diagram. Look at the wire colours and see if anything appears at the rear that you recognise. Then set the switching correctly, dipped beam, front fogs (only as you suspect they have some influence) then test at the rear. You can always get someone to flash the switch on and off to find a wire.

The electronics Clive was gnashing his teeth about are possibly a latching relay so that the fogs go off when the ignition is switched off and default to off. Don't know if this is the case but if the switch returns to the Out position on each press it will be but if it stays put in then out on successive presses then it's a standard switch arrangement.

Keep at it. Don't tear into the truck but look for the wiring colours and patterns.

No front fogs on my truck , no fuse socket for fog light , no stalk switch , and I don't even have the original upper rear lights where the fog lamp , if it ever had one , might have been .

I'm making a rod of my own back I think , wired from battery to an eBay light up switch to light should be a quick thing to jerry rig , I just don't like the idea of cutting power to the Toyota switch without knowing what all the wires do .

I could wrap the switch up in tape and hide it behind dash I suppose .

Back