Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fog lights front - Are Van Wezel worth the extra price ?

Slepetau

Country Flag
norway
Hi.

My left front fog light have bad performance so I think I need to purchase new ones.

Where I live, I can buy the standard ones for like £60 each, (very crude translated from nokr) or I can buy alternative Van Wezel variant that cost the double.

The question I have - are there any reasons for me to go buy the more expensive fog lights, in regards of quality ?

Nb: The reason why I want to replace the left fog light in particular is that the light are pointing upwards (from what I can judge abot 5 degrees upward), but the fog lights itself aren't loose from the fastening, and cannot spot any misalignment to the front bumper so I assume the light itself then must be the culprit.

You can buy uprated bulbs for the front fogs just as you can better headlight bulbs, i bought a pair (probably Osram via ebay) for my fog lights which were previously poor, now much better.

I didn't go LED and have no knowledge of what's good and bad.

As Karl suggests, if the fog light beam is askew its either the bulb not correctly seated or the fog light itself has been knocked off its mount.

I thought fog lights were so people can see you coming rather than to help you see where your going .

Looking at and for some yellow fog lights LEDs or replacement yellow bulbs Diode Dynamics seem to have a better than most reputation for light units

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I expect you can find these cheaper

I also expect you will find them too bright , I never use my 150% H4 headlight version without comment , swambo hates them because BMW's get upset about their poor lights when coming the other way especially when you give them a return flash of high beam :lol:

I thought fog lights were so people can see you coming rather than to help you see where your going .
Well, in heavy snow fall, the fog lights are very helpful.

I expect you can find these cheaper
Well, the issue is that every purchase from non-domestic stores get additional cost because of rules that was introduced a couple of years ago.

Import duty , we pay it as well but somebody in your country must stock them ?

The Norwegians make their own beer no import tax when you go to pay for it you can breathe in so hard that you can choke on your own testicles That is how much tax they pay
Godfather type big smiley face :dizzy:o_O

Fog light beams are designed to illuminate the road surface immediately ahead rather than throwing light many metres up the road, which just gets reflected back at you from the water droplets in fog or even heavy rain and snow. Apparently yellow tinting can help here as less yellow light than white light gets reflected back.

They've changed them for super white led type things around here, they cut through the sea mist alright.

Which is why street lamps are generally yellow... cuts through fog/mist much better.

Nothing to do with it. Street lamps (the old type) emit yellow light as they use sodium bulbs which were much more efficient and economical to run than alternatives available at the time but they give the characteristic yellow light we have become used to. They are now being replaced en mass by LED's which are even more efficient but give a much whiter light, closer to daylight. LED's can, in fact, me made to produce just about any colour light.

The French used to have yellow headlights as standard because of severe fog years ago not sure if that is the case now with the advances in headlight technology I have found that using yellow tinted work glasses driving in fog at night improves visibility a bit the same as sunglasses during daytime fog probably by ten to twenty feet depending on the density anything that gives you a few more feet to think and react is good in my book

Today I got a respond from a dealership I asked the same question. Accordig to this dealership, assuming that the original fog lights cost half the price of Van Wezel, then the latter company are priced too high. The other information is that the Van Wezel lights is supposed to be equal to the original lights.

That is from one dealership over here selling Van Wezel products.

Back