Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Forum member stuck in Chile with his 80

Andy

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Can any body please give me the part nos for the cambelt, hydraulic tensioner and idler pulley for a 24 valve 80 series diesel, or a full Toyota kit if they do one.

are all of these parts for a 24 valve the same, or are there different variations I don't want to send the wrong ones!

My mate (Stephen) has been driving (he is on this forum, or was until he went on his travels) from Canada, through America & is now stuck in Chile with a dodgy tensioner, he has been gone over 18 months!

I think it is R reg, I have his VIN at home but wont be able to get that till thursday, but if I can email Simon Holton tonight with the numbers it will save a bit of time

Apparently there are none anywhere in Chile, and he has asked me to get the parts & DHL them to him ASAP.

Hopefully we can get Stephen on his way again, I believe he will be shipping the truck back home around May after quite an epic trip!

Andy

Last edited:
Do these numbers look right?
tensioner....13540-17010
pulley..... 13505-17020
belt......13568-19175

i will email Simon tonight if somebody can confirm

ta

Andy

Just checked the receipt for my new belt and that number is correct. Had a look at the exploded diagram from the EPC and the first part of the number (5 digits) is correct for the tensioner and pulley but unfortunately doesn't give the second part though.

I have the belt and tensioner in stock. Sold the pulley few weeks ago.

Hi Andy I bought two of these bits in Sep 14 - the idler was T13505-17010 (same number as yours) and N/STK Belt was T13568-YZZ12 not sure why its different to your numbers but this was straight from Mr T direct. Hope that helps

Thanks for your help chaps,

karl, I had just emailed Simon Holton to order the bits before you replied

Thanks again

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andy, Does your mate have a blog for his trip?

No, he has sent me some of his track logs, and here Is a short extract from one of his emails, he isn't the blogging type!

he came with me on a couple of desert trips to Egypt & Mauritania before going through the stans & Russia, he took his 80 to Germany & had the roof chopped off & a pop top type conversion done.
as u can see below, he damaged the rear prop before loading into a container which ultimately damaged the transfer box & diff, other than that, no real problems with the truck considering where it's been

'We have just clocked over 100000km's since arriving in Baltimore, USA, March 2013! Car problems have been little since the transfer box problem we had when we first arrived in Baltimore. This was caused when the rear drive shaft collapsing whilst driving the car to the port to load the car! When we flew out to Baltimore I brought another driveshaft out to fit. It was then I notice that the transfer box was weeping oil on the casing! I manage to replace it at a cost of $1500 and then found out that the drive pinion on the rear diff was bent! Another $800 then we were good to go. Since then I have replaced all the spider joints on the front and rear drives.... dust and water crossings take their toll, plus I now have a phobia regarding drive shafts! Replaced four tyres and all the brake pads. My alternator and my spare voltage regulator failed, but was easily repaired. The starter motor failed but I had a spare. Whilst re-greasing the front bearings, I noted that the drive splines on the birfield had worn due to salt water getting in. I will resist going on any 4x4 tracks now and try to keep to tarmac roads as well. Hopefully it will be ok till we get home. The rear driveshaft I brought out is also worn on the sleeve causing more consternation.
Will be shipping out from Montevideo, Uruguay, as we have heard from other travellers that it is easier there than both Argentina and Brazil.'

Well the parts (according to dhl's tracking) got to Santiago in chile in 3 days, quite good I thought...........the they were sat awaiting customs clearance for another 5 days before beng shipped by road to Puerto monte.

steve has them in his hands now and has already fitted them for the drive through Argentina.

Andy

Hes not back yet, reckons April / May time.
By all accounts the only problems hes had with the truck are a new set of tyres, (I think he had BFG AT's on when he left that had already been to Russia), brake pads, starter contacts & alternator, I believe he had / got spares to repair the starter & alternator, the other bits are basically service items, not bad for a 20 year old truck and doing plus of 100,000ks through canada, usa south america is it!

Andy

Hes not back yet, reckons April / May time.
By all accounts the only problems hes had with the truck are a new set of tyres, (I think he had BFG AT's on when he left that had already been to Russia), brake pads, starter contacts & alternator, I believe he had / got spares to repair the starter & alternator, the other bits are basically service items, not bad for a 20 year old truck and doing plus of 100,000ks through canada, usa south america is it!

Andy
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Not bad? it's Bloody Excellent! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

He had his roof chopped off & a pop top conversion done in Germany, the gas struts that hold it up have also given up & he uses sticks or broom handles to hold it up..... Not a fault with the truck though!
He is a big fan of keeping things as standard as poss & using genuine spare parts, it just goes to prove that it's often the aftermarket add ons that cause issues, yes he does have updated suspension & a long range tank, but always travels with the minimum of stuff

Back