Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FoxBat 270 awning mash up

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Ok firstly, credits to Karl and Trevor for the concept here as I have unashamedly pinched their original idea.

The pics are a bit poor because it got dark all of a sudden as I was playing but you'll get the idea. I have taken a Batwing (thanks Rosy) and and tapered side (nice one David) and had a conversion done to put in a door and a couple of stove flue holes. I decided to put two holes in so that the panel could be situated anywhere in the wing.

The awning itself is destined for the trailer so I will share the sides between the Metalian and the 80. It's just another option really. The door was cut from the original panel, zips added and baffles to keep the rain off the zips when closed. The door rolls up and is stored under a flap to stop it filling with water that might run off the roof. The smoke holes have been reinforced and have roll up flaps too. The door can be held up with poles to form a porch too. Can't wait to get the thing set up for real. Obviously it looks a big baggy but I can't drive pegs into block paving.

Screenshot 2019-10-30 at 20.55.36.jpg
Screenshot 2019-10-30 at 20.56.34.jpg
Screenshot 2019-10-30 at 20.57.26.jpg
Screenshot 2019-10-30 at 20.58.08.jpg
Screenshot 2019-10-30 at 20.58.46.jpg

Very Impressed with that

Looking good

So ... the foxwing side panels zip straight onto batwing awning zips without any mods ?

They do Andy. The FW was a collaboration between OzTent and Rhino Rack. Clearly they fell out at some point and the Batwing appeared. There's a You Tube video confirming this and a demo of the hundreds of improvements made on the Batwing. Errm, right. Biggest improvement is the larger bag. We all know how flamin' tight the Fox bag is. Of course to combat this myriad of improvements (still errrmmm?) Oz Tent have launched Foxwing 2.0 which pinches almost some of the Batwing improvements... errmmm...

Really not much in it. The BW has attached legs which sounds great, but the way they've been done is a pain in some cases. It's nothing like the self supporting built in legs like the Ostrich wing. Hey it's a good awning but not something I'd agonise over not having if I had the Foxy, which I do of course.

So yes all the FW bits fit the BW. Including, because I have asked, the outer bags. So you could treat yourself to a bigger bag for a FW from either the new 2.0 or I guess a Batwing.

Cheers for the info Chris
And timely with regards to the bag. Took FW off Hilux for winter last week, and need to order a new bag as zipper detaching at the front and the coating on top of bag is getting thin and looking tatty
So a bigger FW 2.0 .org batwing bag will be a better buy to replace it

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I messaged Oz Tent and they responded with a yes, 1.0 and 2.0 are interchangeable.

Looks great Chris, some nice touches there

Thanks, looking forward to seeing yours all set up. How's it up in the North?

Nice one Chris. You're a man of many talents. To be used in conjunction with an Ozpig or similar I presume.

Yes Nick. It's something like that although more traditional box shaped than pot-bellied. The stove that is.....

Managed to throw the Foxbat onto the trailer this afternoon. It's a bit longer than the Direct 4x4 one which is ok but does cause me a bit of a problem getting into the unit. I might have to slide it back and forth on the mount each time. No biggie. It's much heavier and I'm thinking about maybe putting some sort of screw jack on there to raise and lower from the transit position. One up though, it's super. MAke a really good arc with the trailer and once the sides are on it's going to be really snug inside. I might just have to sneak a short trip in somewhere this winter just to try it out with the wood burner. And a good pork belly Durban of course.

Screenshot 2019-11-03 at 17.34.01.jpg

Screenshot 2019-11-03 at 17.34.15.jpg

The repair to the main sail looks really good and strong. I've got all new guy lines, HD pegs (@Trevor) but unfortunately the zip on the cover has bust and I think I am going to have to a replacement.

What? What's under that sheet? Never you mind.

Cheers for the info Chris
And timely with regards to the bag. Took FW off Hilux for winter last week, and need to order a new bag as zipper detaching at the front and the coating on top of bag is getting thin and looking tatty
So a bigger FW 2.0 .org batwing bag will be a better buy to replace it

Andy

I have a few of Drifter products, there well made. they also make a Foxwing cover replacement.
https://www.drifta.com.au/product/replacement-cover-for-the-foxwing-awning/

Gary

Yes I have already mailed them for details. Since none of the UK based suppliers have even bothered to respond. But £95 plus shipping is not realistic I don't think. I have seen genuine covers recently for around £55 but I don't want a small like the original. I'll take a Fowing, Batwing or Drifta one. But it needs that extra room in it I think.

Back