Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fridge required, what’s your experience?

DH.120

Country Flag
england
Having spent the past few years with a cool box (Halfords 40l coolbox) i’ve decided it’s time to upgrade to a “proper” fridge.

Looking at the Dometic CFX3 45 as its capacity of 40l is what I’m used to and know that it will do not only for day trips / long weekends, but also longer camping trips with the kids. Being a “proper fridge it’ll stop the worrying of how cool it actually is, and will be better on the battery as not running 100% of the time like the old cool box. Interested that it can go down to freezer cold as well as that’ll mean I can take a load of food to start the trip with if needed. (Got another smaller cool box that lives on the back seat with the kids that keeps the drinks for the journey cold!)

As I know it’ll get a good bit of use I’m willing to spend on it - if it’s really worth it. Just wondering if anyone has any alternative that they use (and you can still get hold of).

Any suggestions welcomed. (Definitely a compressor fridge, not just a cool box)

Thanks in advance :)

Have an Engel MT45 40 litre fridge/freezer -18c for a couple of years now. Efficient and reliable, very happy with it. Really depends if you want a fridge and freezer option at the same time and size.

Last edited:
I have the Snomaster SMDZ-EX67D, 2 compartments, 30/36 split, have a family of five and lived with a 40l fridge that had to run of AC to get properly cold. The new one means I can organise stuff so much better, actually keep a decent amount of beers cold instead of the families food, and make the battery last loads more as it super efficient. Things like internal light, door alarm, separate freezer compartment if needed, solar powered remote control with a nice display. It’s a bid outlay but the build quality looks like it will last.

I went down the same route; had a halfords coolbox which was OK to run for a night or something, but after that it would just drain too much power.

I've had a Dometic compressor fridge for about 5 years now, and its been brilliant. Slightly smaller model than the one you're looking at - think it was about 500 quid, but works well and only uses power when its needed, so overall much lower. I run mine off a separate battery box.

Not cheap, but good kit in my experience!

I have two Waecos, a National Luna and a Snomaster. The Snomaster is superb due its features. But aside from the handy bits and bobs, the Waecos are fantastic fridges. Take care when choosing a fridge. Look inside at the layout. Deep and narrow makes life difficult. Can you put full sized bottles in there? Will the baskets all fit if you do... That sort of thing. All the big brands will perform pretty much the same so really it kinda comes down to the layout. Where's the control panel - which way does the lid open, where is the power plug socket etc etc

I went down the same route; had a halfords coolbox which was OK to run for a night or something, but after that it would just drain too much power.

I've had a Dometic compressor fridge for about 5 years now, and its been brilliant. Slightly smaller model than the one you're looking at - think it was about 500 quid, but works well and only uses power when its needed, so overall much lower. I run mine off a separate battery box.

Not cheap, but good kit in my experience!
Karl,

Good to hear of your experience. You are right they are not cheap, but I can see the advantages especially on the power usage front and also noise (coolbox is quite noisy running continuously).

Still looking around but think I’ll take the plunge soon.

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure there’s room in my vehicle for all those fridges :laughing: Chris!!!,

Thanks for the info though. I agree that it is about layout too, but not easy to see these in person as they are always showing out of stock for most of them, so been getting the manual, and checking measurements and specs in there.
i believe Waeco is notDometic - am I right there? Also lots of the newer ones allowance lid opening side to be changed, but it’s a valid point having used the coolbox in a normal Carr boot once and packed on the wrong side it was a real pita to get stuff from it.

Waeco and Dometic are the same - Waeco became part of Dometic 2 generations of fridges ago.

We've got a Waeco CFX65 which is a big bugger, but it does well at Christmas as the overflow beer fridge. On the whole it runs all the time, at the moment in the back of the 80 on the battery box we have in there.

Waeco and Dometic are the same - Waeco became part of Dometic 2 generations of fridges ago.

We've got a Waeco CFX65 which is a big bugger, but it does well at Christmas as the overflow beer fridge. On the whole it runs all the time, at the moment in the back of the 80 on the battery box we have in there.
:)If that’s the “overflow” beer fridge then I’ll be over for Christmas !! :laughing:

:)If that’s the “overflow” beer fridge then I’ll be over for Christmas !! :laughing:
House fridge has food

Camping fridge has beer

Also means I tend to forget where beer is (found 2x 6 packs in there today! that was a bonus!)

I run a mobicool fr35, copy of a Waeco basically. Was about £300. Added an insulated cover to it and it works great for my use. It's mounted in the boot on a slide. Bit smaller capacity at 31L but as a brand it's been good.

Camping in the UK mainly for us so doesn't need to cope with desert conditions

One thing that I tend to do in order to 'calibrate' my fridge is to place a glass of water in there and lower the temp rature until it freezes. Then I know what zero looks like on the display. The Waecos are very good. What you see on the display is what you get. Same with the Snomaster. The Nat Luna is pure fantasy.
Of course much depends on how much you have in the fridge in terms of thermal mass etc etc, but it's a simple way to get some sort of feel.

Back