Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front ARB air lockers

gesuip

Country Flag
south_africa
Hi everyone

I recently bought a 2000 model 100 Series. I still need to introduce myself properly to the club.

I'm having it fitted out for a few months' trip around central and southern Africa next year and some shorter trips pottering around Europe before then. I'm tempted by the ARB air locker, but a bit cautious of the cost in the light of the money I'm already spending on other things.

I wonder if anyone has experience of them and whether it is worth the money to fit one.

Thanks

My 2001 100 VX has the traction control and no rear locker. Do you have a locker on the rear or traction control? Either of these will see you through most situations.
Lockers on the front are really the last resort and only really necessary for extreme conditions (IMO). They have limited use as they really hamper steering.
I fitted lockers front and rear to my South African 80 series and only when rock climbing on extreme trails and during fun competitions was the front locker used.
If you are overlanding you normally avoid the extreme conditions because your vehicle is so heavily loaded.
For example if you go to Dubai those dessert tours don't use any lockers even in the deepest and steepest sand on their 100 series. Lower tyre pressures and driving skills get you through.
I would spend the money on something else, like a winch, which again is just insurance for the very odd occasion. I never used my winch when overlanding, as I said before, you avoid most risks when touring. If you do decide on a locker then the ARB is the preferred option in South Africa.
Ken

Thanks Ken. That's useful. It does have traction control and a rear lock.

The consensus among folks I've spoken to seems to be there are better things to spend money on.

Thanks Ken. That's useful. It does have traction control and a rear lock.

The consensus among folks I've spoken to seems to be there are better things to spend money on.

In your case, I think I would agree. Retrofit lockers are a very expensive option.

Back