Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Axel rebuild. 70 series.

martin

So i have had to keep changeing front axel gear oil due to water being mixed with oil. Not wanting to blow the front diff i thourght i best get it sorted. Afterall its not a land rover is it. Ha ha.
Looking for suggestions from people that have allready done this as to witch seals i should replace and if there is a kit that i can buy that has all seals.

1st job drain the minging oil AGAIN
64032781-6C37-41C5-B932-132F744DA012-755-0000019CE8B7F5EF_zpsb54544de.jpg

0360B240-1DBD-438D-9D1D-608F74408D61-755-0000019CF9B3FF0D_zps063a9936.jpg

Looks like the oil has not only been mixing with water its also mixed with the Greese. Happy i have done this as it wouldnt be long until the bearings would of given up, also found that both front flexi brake pipes need replacing.

1A9D4BD6-2B55-4EAE-985F-8D7AF57AFA4C-755-0000019D0B1BC740_zps590c48bb.jpg

AF43C788-B969-47B8-B0EE-D98C81D701EA-755-0000019D165A89E7_zps575b72d3.jpg

Finaley all apart

7FE763C7-9574-4B92-AFEF-F387DFBE8641-755-0000019D22597789_zpsd5cfbd4c.jpg

Parts all cleaned and ready to be
re-greesed
CD40B61A-5192-4FA9-B679-95712E0CABC1-755-0000019D304DFB7F_zpsd33f2eda.jpg

I found my oil seals just inside the axle at the birfield, needed replacing....ended up with new oil seals, birfield seals and wipers.
be very careful when replacing the halfshafts, as you can damage the oil seal easily, and set the halfshaft up properly inside the seal, as per instructions.

whilst you have the axle down that far, remove the breather valve, and replace with extended hose, to at least as far as the top of engine bay.

I didnt know they was called birfield seals so cheers for that, i did the breather a few months back when i 1st found water in there. What do you mean when you say cairfull to set it up the half shafts right as per instructions? Can i set it up wrong then?

Wow Martin, busy as ever. Looks like you are doing a grand job.

euro4x4parts.com have complete rebuild kits for this, i bought my kit from them and all worked out super ;)

I didnt know they was called birfield seals so cheers for that, i did the breather a few months back when i 1st found water in there. What do you mean when you say cairfull to set it up the half shafts right as per instructions? Can i set it up wrong then?

Can be set up incorrectly, yes. Toyota have a special tool to set them up with.

The five plates in your last pic, the ones to the left of the top pin plate?, are there to set the swivel central in the housing, if set incorrectly the half shaft isn't set central in the oil seal, and it will eventually destroy it, leading to more grease oil mixing.

When I took mine out, it had not been set and I had a nasty groove worn in the half shaft.
Best of luck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can be set up incorrectly, yes. Toyota have a special tool to set them up with.

The five plates in your last pic, the ones to the left of the top pin plate?, are there to set the swivel central in the housing, if set incorrectly the half shaft isn't set central in the oil seal, and it will eventually destroy it, leading to more grease oil mixing.

When I took mine out, it had not been set and I had a nasty groove worn in the half shaft.
Best of luck.

This is misleading information. The plates are the adjusting shims to set the pre-load on the steering knuckle. If you can't remember which shims go to the top/bottom, you need to measure the thickness of each, add them together and split the total between top and bottom. I believe the special tool referred to is there to remove/install the knuckle and bearing caps. The groove Damage to the half shaft/drive shaft is probably due to normal wear and/or contaminated oil/grease.

Martin.

Do you have access to the various settings/pre-loads needed to finish the job? If you set it up properly, it will run for years. If you do it the Land-Rover way "Oh it will be OK", you will be doing it again in a months time.

Roger

This is misleading information. The plates are the adjusting shims to set the pre-load on the steering knuckle. If you can't remember which shims go to the top/bottom, you need to measure the thickness of each, add them together and split the total between top and bottom. I believe the special tool referred to is there to remove/install the knuckle and bearing caps. The groove Damage to the half shaft/drive shaft is probably due to normal wear and/or contaminated oil/grease.

Martin.

Do you have access to the various settings/pre-loads needed to finish the job? If you set it up properly, it will run for years. If you do it the Land-Rover way "Oh it will be OK", you will be doing it again in a months time.

Roger

I do sincerly apologise, I thought they were to centralise the knuckle in the housing.

I'm planning on rebuilding my front axle too soon so if you could post up the various settings and pre-loads for the job it would be appreciated Roger.

I'm planning on rebuilding my front axle too soon so if you could post up the various settings and pre-loads for the job it would be appreciated Roger.

If you want PDF copies of the Toyota Factory Service Manuals, then PM me your email address and I will send them across to you. All the information is their with pics and torque settings etc. :icon-wink:

Any more progress with the axle Martin ?

Hi Ben, is it still possible to get a copy of the PDF for the Toyota Factory Service manuals? I'm about to do a rebuild of the front end of my 70 series and hoped to get the proper torque settings etc.
Cheers
Matt

Hi Ben have just joined and am interested in a copy of the service manual if still available. I have a 4.5 EFI pickup with leaking front axle seals. My email is [email protected]

Back