Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Axle Rebuild

Highlander

Country Flag
scotland
Hi there

I am rebuilding my front axle and am replacing the CV joints and all bearings

I can not get the nearside (long) axle back into the diff!

I am concerned this is because the front diff lock is not activated and something is blocking it. Diff lock just flashed green at me and wouldn't engage despite a number of attempts so I just pressed on with the job

Does this mean I have to take my diff apart?? :fearscream:

Well it's not going in, and the diff seems pretty sloppy, so I'm going to tear it apart. Thought I was finished today but now I'm into a whole new world of fun

Front locker doesn't need to be into reassemble the CVS and shafts. They can be tricky granted. Try using the cv as a kind of lever so the shaft isn't running along the bottom of the axle tube. Bit fiddly at times but always got them in.

As Gav says, they can be tricky. Don't panic, it WILL go back in. I've seen this before where several people have tried and no joy, then someone wanders up and has a go and it's straight in. We couldn't get one out once. We all had a go on it. Would not budge. The next day it practically fell out on its own.

Just check the end of the splines haven't got a ding in them or anything obvious, have a cuppa and then have another go. You will have to lever down on the oil retaining ring just the other side of the inner axle oil seal, but give it a turn or two as will to get it to line up. Stick with it.

Thank you guys for all the encouragement

I sited down the hole and I can't see any obstruction, so it's not got anything to do with the locker or the diff. I've been over the splines 3 times with a file and they look perfect

Kind of fed up with it. Going to take the knuckle back off tomorrow and see if I can engage it without that on and take it from there. I think the pattern CV joint might be a different shape to the original and isn't letting me raise the shaft to the centre position where it wants to be

Got wife trouble, she wants to do a supermarket run and has clearly never heard of a taxi

Today, I took the knuckle back off. Axle went straight in. Knuckle fits back on over the CV "nae bother" as they say round these parts. So problem solved. My repeated attempts to fit have damaged the oil seal, but luckily I have a spare. So I'll fit that and I would expect reassembly to be fairly straight forward now on (famous last words)

I genuinely think this should be the standard approach, particularly with the long axle, and particularly with Chinese CV that are a different shape to the Toyota part - there is no downside to assembly in this order

Thanks for all your help fellas!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just be careful, as I said, with the oil retaining ring that sits in the axle housing behind the oil seal. Easy to knock that out and have it end up in the diff.

Now you’ve reminded me that my CVs are knocking again on full lock... ufff .... time to dig deep into funds again ...
I suppose with 460 + k km on the clock, the Truck owes me nothing...
Good to hear of a happy ending :thumbup:

I was getting weird noises from the front. Pretty sure now that it was my brake rotor shield dropping bits of rust into the brakes, but I tore down the whole axle anyway. Knuckle trunnion bearings were notchy, wheel bearings were loose and I found a crack in the bracket that the shock connects to that needed welding. Glad I did it. Fair bit of money in parts though all in

Highlander, with a name like that and a Blue and white flag, where are you hiding? I’m a little north of Inverness

cheers

J

Hahaha sounds like the Black Isle to me? I'm out towards Dores a wee bit from Inverness

Back