Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front hubs not engaging

Jye

Country Flag
australia
Hi legends!

Just recently attempted to cruise on the beach and just sunk because my hubs were not engaging! H4 & L4 both working. Would this leak have anything to do with it. Quoted $1100 for font hub service. I want to do this myself as it would be benifitial to me. But first I need to know what may be the problem.

Thanks!

IMG_2033.PNG

Well that certainly does need fixing. Most likely the inner axle oil seal. But the leak itself shouldn't stop the hub drive flange from locking. I presume you have manual hubs in the middle of the front wheels? These need to be locked obviously. If you have locked them but are not getting drive, that would point to either the prop not getting drive to the diff, something broken in the diff or the CVs being toast. I think you'd notice any of those just by the noise! Only other part I guess is that perhaps the hub splines have sheared /worn off allowing all the drive to spin away leaving you without drive at the front.

Hubs were definitely locked in. But no noise coming from the front end at all. Would it be worth getting a new front diff or try fix this one?

Hi Jye,
If you held a spanner before, fixing a hub by yourself should be possible. Try to get your hands on a fsm.
Before you start spending money on repairs, try to find where the problem is.
I assume that you don't have permanent 4wd and no central diff.
You can try the following : disengage 4wd and engage both hubs. Try to turn the drive shaft by hand. If you can turn it, there is a problem with either one or both the hubs or the diff or the cv's.
Next test with disengaged 4wd and hubs engaged : support the front axle so that the front wheels are free from the ground. Rotate one wheel by hand and watch the other wheel. This should rotate in the opposite direction. When this is the case, you know that the lockers on the two wheels are engaged and that the diff is working as it should.
Next test :still with front wheels in the air and hubs engaged, 4wd disengaged. try to turn the drive shaft, the two wheels should turn in the same direction. If not, check the diff or the hub that isn't turning.
Next test : still with front wheels in the air and hubs engaged. Engage 4H or 4L. Try to turn the driveshaft by hand. If this is possible, the problem is in the transfer case.
I hope this helps.
Good luck.
Wout

Last edited:
Excellent advice
I’d doubt the front diff was busted
I think you’d know
Eliminate the obvious as described then let us know
There is no centre diff on the 105’s that I have looked at. Just a transfer box a bit like a Hilux

Has it got the stupid auto locking front hubs, if it has I bet the splines have rounded off

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think they're usually the get out and turn them variety. You can leave them locked then when you go from 2H to 4H they're already in.

I think they're usually the get out and turn them variety. You can leave them locked then when you go from 2H to 4H they're already in.
My troopy has auto jobbys, but if you are off road a lot you need to turn them in manually or the do the splines in as they only go in a short way in auto

they are the manual locking hubs. thanks for the great advice!
i will spin the snapper when i get back from work and will keep you all posted!

Back