Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Frustrating search for new tyres

Having used the 285 RT03's on an 80 ( which I now run BFG A/T's) I thought they were ok but nothing special. I prefer the feel of BFG A/T s as that is generally what I have driven for the past 16 years on 80's. The BFG's are noticeably quieter.
If it was me I would wait until the BFG A/T 2's become available and see what the reviews say, usually the BFG's have a high load rating.

Andy I have seen the new AT or KO2 as I think it's called and there ain't no way that is going to pull a 3t 80 out of mus and soft ground my friend. It's an AT with side tread that's all. On the road I think the AT is unbeatable but in the sort of mud that you can find yourself accidentally, nope/ At Lincomb this weekend I had lockers in and some forward momentum and I nearly didn't make it to the first Oak tree down on the jumping field.

Now if you fancy selling your STTs ......

Know people who run stt and rate them highly, not talking fully laden landcruiser but still landys and troopers. One lad runs them on his daily drive/weekend toy and has never complained about them on or off road ( he'd be vocal about it if had an issue lol )

I have just put some Duratracs on and I am happy with them so far. You can get them in 315/70R17 at 121 Q here: http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/goodyear-wrangler-duratrac-315-70-r17-121-q-mfs#89218444

The only comments I have about them is that they hum at fast motorway speeds and people have reported weak sidewalls. As your 80 will not be a all out off roader and I know you are a sensible driver this should not be an issue. Also they grip well in the sticky stuff and should work really well in the snow seeing as they have the "Mountain Snowflake" symbol.

Ive had an 80 with the old bfg mud terrians and shite in the wet, and the all terrains which are great as you know, then got a hi lux and went for the stt, really liked them on and off road, did about 10k with em and so got them fitted to the 79, haven't used it in anger but still like them, civilised in the cumbrian rain on the tarmac, ok on the m6 and function well when it gets snotty.
my choice from now on
thats my two peneth..

I gave the STT's some stick on oily and they were pretty good all rounders. In the sizes you need they'd be my first choice, availability is usually pretty good on those if you run into problems which can be an issue with others.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Guys. Brilliant stuff. Really very helpful.

Rob, I'd entirely forgotten about your Duratracs. You seem pretty happy with them. I shall look at those again.

Eeek, they are expensive aren't they. I can see why people go for the STT so commonly. The DT at the right price might well be the perfect combination really. The old Cooper ST was like that. Halfawy between an AT and an MT which is what I am after. Silverline are pushing the new Bear Claw TTC which looks great but is more mud than I need I think. Might drop into JCS today and have a rummage

Chris
I was there on Monday they do open at 11.30 ish but only the guy who works for Charles was there I would say mid afternoon would be best

Blimey Charlie if they have stock that's me sorted and I am only a few miles away today
I'd take 6 of those if they have them
Nice one they must be old stock

I was thinking that Chris - have you asked? Are they in stock?

Nah long gone
Shame good spot though

Been to see Chas. Had a good chat. But got home to a quote from somewhere else at a significantly better price, delivered. I have a set of rims, 2 in fact. If I take into account fuel to Notts and back or have them dlievered and take them round the corner to my usual fitters, it's a significantly cheaper price.

David, yours are on std zero off set rims. Feel OK? I'd like to be on less off set, -30 makes it very light. Andy, if I recall yours are on std 80 alloys as well aren't they?

Yes Chris mine are standard rims and feels ok so far, will know better after the weekend after driving to Wiltshire and back

Well, let me know if you are interested in selling them Andy. I know you usually have a plan for the bits you have.

If the price on the new tyres and rims comes in on budget tomorrow, there will be an order going in I think and that will be that. I could do without spending all that, but it was always in the plan I guess to put new rubber on. Looking at black steels again but without the stupid -30 off set. They do a -07 which is an odd one but there it is.

I came across these recently. Possibly not aggressive enough for proper mud but it will be interesting to see if they make it across to here.

http://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/exo-grappler-all-weather-traction-light-truck-tire/

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1503_off_road_tire_test_nitto_exo_grappler_awt/
http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-...rappler-awt-tire-test-grappling-with-success/

Vehicle test weight should certainly be comparable, the review is based on an f-150.

Anyway I thought would be interesting just to post these up.

Back