Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel tank cover bolt sizes

Bert

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello folks. A bit of a bugger, but I can't find the bolts to put my fuel tank cover back on. Can anyone tell me what sizes they are?

I can't even remember what it bolts to Bert but if its the chassis i will take a long shot at the hidden crash bumper at the front using the same bolts which are a 1.25 fine thread . Worth a look maybe ?

I can't even remember what it bolts to Bert but if its the chassis i will take a long shot at the hidden crash bumper at the front using the same bolts which are a 1.25 fine thread . Worth a look maybe ?
Cheers Shayne. It's a simple lesson I always forget. Put the bolts back in the chassis until needed, or bag and tag them. Can't find them anywhere.

The bolts have an M8 x 1.25 thread. Toyota use those nasty 12mm-headed bolts with the tapered sides and hollow crowns. I replace them with conventional 13mm-headed set screws in stainless with plenty of anti-seize paste.

Bob.

The bolts have an M8 x 1.25 thread. Toyota use those nasty 12mm-headed bolts with the tapered sides and hollow crowns. I replace them with conventional 13mm-headed set screws in stainless with plenty of anti-seize paste.

Bob.
Hello Bob.
I replaced the two larger bolts (either side of the tank cover) with M12 x 1.25 threads, with the aid of plenty of lube. It took a minute or two but I got them in in the end. The two smaller bolts fixing to the rear of the chassis was another story. I think these would be the M8's, but something had been changed somewhere in the past, because they were both different sizes! I'm almost bothered to take them all out at some point in the future and re-cut them to something a little more convenient. However, the important thing is that I got the tank cover back on, as we're off to Salisbury Plain and Devices at the weekend for a bit of offroading fun and I didn't want to run the risk of damaging the tank somehow.....
upload_2017-4-21_10-24-48.png

upload_2017-4-21_10-25-31.png

Later on, I'd like to drop the tank out, clean it up and get it looking like the cover....small things, little steps......

Ah yes, I was thinking about the two smaller bolts that go into the cross member. I remember the problems I had getting them out initially. Now I use Stainless bolts with anti-seize paste.

The two that go into / through the chassis are larger. Sorry if I confused everyone (its been a while since I took my tank guard off :oops:).

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mines only ever been held on with the bolts that go ino the chassis legs and it's taken plenty of knocks, bumps and bashes. My rear cross-member is none too happy (rotted through in places), and as far as I can tell there haven't been any bolts into it for years!

I would like to buy a box of assorted stainless bolts but they always seem to contain more of what you don't need than of stuff you can use .

I would like to buy a box of assorted stainless bolts but they always seem to contain more of what you don't need than of stuff you can use .
Has anybody ever found a bolt list for all the different sizes used on these beasts? I've been gradually replacing them here and there, but I do find myself getting flumoxed by 'odd' ones, even when you'd think it should be the same as its opposite neighbour as it were..... I'm glad I got the tank cover back on though, it took a few scrapes over the last weekend. I have noticed it likes to collect mud too....

I'm putting together an order for some bolts and so far i've got -

4x M12 X 1.5 at 73mm overall length for Toyota's own recovery hook (not loop) at the front .

8X m12 x 1.25 at 43mm overall length for the tow bar/tank guard .

6X M8 which i'm inclined to think look more like 1.50 thread and as none fitted are the same i will say at 25/30mm in length ? two for the rear end of the tank guard and 4 for the tank straps .

4X M10 again i'm thinking but unsure 1.50 thread ? at approx 40mm for the big tank strap bolts , Toyota does away with the thread at the start of the bolt but i hope that's just to speed things up on the assembly line .

Comments welcome because there's little more annoying than ordering bolts that don't fit !

I used to buy bolts from folk like Namrick. They were expense then one day I looked at Screwfix. Can't believe their stainless prices. I just buy a bag with 100 in it now of whatever I want. I have used loads of their button headed bolts on my trailer. They do a nice thick washer too. OK they don't have all the threads you need but it's a good range and ready to collect in 1 minute!

I will certainly take a look Chris truth is i don't actually need anything but a spring washer on the original tow bar chassis bolts broke when i took it off which made me wonder about fatigue so while i'm at it ...........

Yellow zinc high tensile for tow bar bolts and i've had good dealings with Spalding Fasteners via ebay or otherwise .

Further investigation (trying whatever bolts i can find on the shed floor :shifty:) suggests i take a punt at 1.25 thread for everything .

Back