Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Galaxy Tab real GPS

jeellison

Hello all,

Im still researching GPS systems and was wondering if the Samsung galaxy tab had true GPS? I want to know if it would work anywhere in the world without the need of a internet connection?

I think this would be a great solution as it has no moving parts and with a good water/sand proof case it may be better than taking a toughbook as long maps could be pre loaded too.

Does anybody have any thought on this please or a similar setup?

Thanks
J

This has been covered I think quite recently
Here and Here

I know neither post specifically says about the GPS so here goes.
I have the wifi only version of the 7 inch tab. so no internet connection other than when I am at home. Everywhere I have been in the UK it has always picked up a signal within a min or so. Could not tell you honestly if this would work with worldwide satalites but I am pretty sure it will work in Europe. Maps can be preloaded just need an SD card big enough. I am currently running a 32gb which has plent of space left on it even with all uk landranger maps, about 50 1:25k maps and full maps for uk shatnav installed on it. If you are planning overseas trips I guess if you cannot fit all the mapping you want on 1 sd card you could always carry one for each region and just swap them over as needed.

I have looked into this quite extensively as has Steven (But with Ipad) so any other questions just ask

Thanks Chris,

Yes, that was my main concern, Im heading to mongolia in a couple of weeks and was wondering if it would work there. :thumbup:

Cheers

ahh mongolia brings back memories,done in 2007 in a 1988 nissan sunny, wish i was going again but this time i would take a lot longer and drink a lot more fermented mares milk :thumbup:

As I thought the GPS will work any where in the world that does not have an obstructed view of the sky
http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-incredible/177041-use-verizon-inc-gps-europe.html
However unless like me you preload the maps onto sd cards all you will gain from the gps is your location. you need some sort of mapping software to place the gps location onto a map.

hope that makes sense.

Having never done overland trips before I am not sure what maps you can get for mongolia. you need QCT file maps for the App I use (MMTracker).

Seems the new Galaxy tab doesn't have real GPS afterall. They use 3g or a wireless network to get a location. And they don't have any memory card slots either.

The 7.7 galaxy tab has both!

So annoying.

Best Regards
J

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back