Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gear box oil help

24carrot

Hi I am changing my gear box oil .and when I went to buy the new oil .for my 1992 4.2 td .they sed the gear box oil had been updated . and the oil I now need is 75w_ 90 fs .and that is a fully synthetic gear oil. Is this right

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think in reality the type of oil is purely a choice / recommendation. It's the GRADE that matters. It is and always has been 75w 90

Any type of non hypoid 75-90 gear oil will do the job. Our trucks run straight 75-90 mineral gear oil and cover 100's of K's without a problem so synthetic is not a necessity. That said I did change mine (97 GX) and put this in:-
IMG_0665_zps00b6415e.jpg

TBF it didn't really change anything from what came out noise or change quality but at least I know whats in there.

Can you mix fully synthetic and a straight 75 90?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Don't put GL 5 or EP oil in the box. It will damage the synchro rings in the long term.

P.S. you can't obtain the original oil any ore. The new Toyota part number refers to 75-90 semi synthetic. Use Comma.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I use redline mt 90. Helped with a whine and improved cold weather shifting.

I had a nightmare finding an oil with a low GL rating, even GL 4 is a tad on the high side if much of what I have read has any merit?

regards

Dave

Back