Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

geting hot

24carrot

my 4.2 td 80 when pulling my trailer has sarted geting hot the temperature gauge is going allmost in to the red on big hills. it duse droup back down agen but it has not dune this befour .any help?

The viscous fan should be working hard while towing up hill ?

at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious... have you been offroad/though water/mud? My LR90 does that cost the rad is crudded up with mud, can't jetwash it properly without taking the rad out cos the intercooler is in the way

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think most would say you can hear it but i'm half deaf so i have no idea . Repair of the fan is just a case of pulling it apart and putting new oil in it . I can't be certain about the 80 series but 60ml of 10.000 cst silicone oil i think is generally toted as the right amount .

When the fan is working correctly you can hear it roar when it's hot enough to lock up. it will also do this for the first minute or so after a cold start until centrifugal force distributes the oil. When at 'normal' temp,the fan is just coasting and can be stopped spinning quite easily. When you think the engine is hot enough to lock up the fan just stop, switch off the engine and see if it is actually locked.

Consider a new thermostat too, mine was lazy when I first got the truck and it kept the temp just on the limit, high end. All the above and a new thermostat.

Back