Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting My First FJ40 for my first Restoration.

You are truly lucky :clap: I think most of us have at some point owned a boring daily drivers in far worse condition than your FJ . I think i would be inclined to drive it for a few months repairing things as they break before stripping it down for a complete makeover . Things like degraded rubber etc might not be obvious to the naked eye and the last thing you want is to find your windscreen leaks after you have just spent lots of time and effort making the interior look new . All repairs result in little scratches or marks that would probably go unnoticed on most vehicles but you don't want them shortly after you just painted everything .

Hi,
The truck looks great, a real find.
I would suggest that the rust on the rear body cross member should be addressed first.
A good site aid with restoration is www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/main.htm. This site will show the structure and how to address the problems. I ended up making a new one but yours does not look anywhere near as bad but you won't really know until you get under and in there!
If you need a place to start your restoration, then I think that is it, as the other areas are not as structural.
Nice truck, looking forward to following your progress.

Regards,
Rodger

Looks great! :clap:

A useful source for advice and parts will be Specter Off Road. Its on my bucket list to go and visit them and see their cruiser museum one day. :icon-biggrin:

https://www.sor.com/

Thanks Ben and Rodger for the info. I am taking care of that rust below the tailgate first. That is the only area that needs immediate attention. I am also going to take Shayne's advise and driver her for a little while before I start restoration. I would like to get the suspension and mechanical stuff done before moving to body and interior. Thanks again for all the info and advice. My goal is to have her done by next fall. I know it is an agressive goal but I have about 20-30 hours a week I can spend on her. What I can't get done with time I might be able to do with money. :)

Here is a better picture if the rust on the rear body cross member. This is the worst that I have found so far. Doesn't look to bad to me but I am a rookie!!

FJ40_rust.JPGFJ40_rust2.JPGFJ40_rust3.jpg

Hi,
Looking at the detailed photos of the rear, I would recommend that you take a good look underneath (at the body cross member) first. Scrape out the mud and crud and that will give you a better idea of the job. If the cross member is not rotted away, then you are very lucky. If it is, sor.com as Ben says or you could make one, as we did ('evolution of a 40' in this forum) after reading the Cooperman site.
There is a small gap between the cross member and the body panels, when you've done the repairs fill that gap with POR paste or something equivalent otherwise the rot will re-appear.

Good luck with it. If we can help, just say. Don't forget to take loads of photos

Regards,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi there

I have had a 1969 and I am also restoring a 1968 for a customer, both came from OZ and both were very soild expect the bottom of the rear corners and the rear sill, just like yours. They are really nice to work on and everything comes apart easily, they realy are a dream for home home restoration. Yours looks rearly nice and solid and the cloth seats are cool (never seen them before) i guess most OZ cruisers were sold as commercial vehicles and most US ones were sold as station wagons. Keep posting pics as you go please

Back